GloDroid brings Android 14 to PinePhone (AllWinner A64), DanctNIX users need to edit pacman.conf because of domain expiry, a very interesting Ubuntu Touch Q&A (outlook on snap support, 20.04 OTA 4 and 24.04), another round-up of Sailfish Community news, FOSDEM Mobile Linux devroom Call for Participation, touchscreen enabled Minetest for postmarketOS and more!
Commentary in italics.
- Mobian (Mastodon): The Call for submissions to the mobile Linux devroom is out now! Submit your talks till December 8!https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2023q4/003510.htmlWe are excited to learn what is happening in the ecosystem.And if you can't make it to the devroom, make sure you'll visit our stand.#fosdem #fosdem2024 #linux_on_mobile
- This Week in GNOME: #122 Experimenting and Learning. Nice apps!
- GTK blog: Introducing graphics offload
- Guido Günther: If you're running #phoc's development branch (main, tracking #wlroots git) on a device with split display controller and gpu (like the #librem5 with #etnaviv and mxsfb / dcss) make sure to set WLR_RENDER_DRM_DEVICE=/dev/dri/renderD128export WLR_RENDER_DRM_DEVICEin ~/.phoshdebug as otherwise GTK4 (and lots of other things) will fail to render anything. GTK3 and #phosh itself will work fine.This doesn't apply when you run nested of e.g. with intel graphics.#phosh
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: Panel Intellihide and Wayland Presentation Time
- KDE Announcements: KDE and Google Summer of Code 2023
- KDE Announcements: KDE Ships Frameworks 5.112.0
- Phoronix: KDE Addressing A Spike In Bug Reports Following The Plasma 6 Alpha
- Community News - Sailfish OS Forum: Sailfish Community News, 16th Nov Clouds. Nice overview of Nextcloud apps for Sailfish OS!
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 84
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 83
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 82
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 81
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 80
- Ubuntu Touch Forums News: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 128 Call For Questions. Find the video below!
- phone-devel: [PATCH v2 0/8] Add UFS support for SC7180/SM7125
- phone-devel: [PATCH v2 11/11] arm64: dts: qcom: qcm6490-fairphone-fp5: Enable WiFi
- Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 5 Kernel Graphics Driver Support Queued Ahead Of Linux 6.8
- Phoronix: Linux 6.6 Formally Becomes This Year's LTS Kernel
- postmarketOS (Mastodon): We upgraded to the new Vector (2022) Mediawiki theme for the postmarketOS wiki. We think there might be some room for a few CSS improvements, if you have any recommendations then do let us know!https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Main_PageYou can switch back to the old theme in your user preferences.We've also disabled the "Talk" pages as they're mostly either old or not very useful, you can still access them manually by editing the URL.
- postmarketOS (Mastodon): Remember @fsfe 's open letter from 1 year ago?* Users should have the right to freely choose OS & software on their devices,* which service providers to use* Devices should be interoperable/compatible with open standards* Drivers/tools/interfaces source code should be published under a free license> 3k people signed it. Today it was given to the German parliament with plans to deliver it to decision-makers at EU level too. Thanks FSFE and everybody who signed!https://fsfe.org/news/2023/news-20231115-01.html
- GloDroid for PinePhone: 2023w46 (Android 14)
- Manjaro PinePhone Plasma Mobile: Release 202311160508. I wonder if this interim release fixes the upgrade troubles of the (un?)maintained default OS PINE64 ships on PinePhone (Pro)!
- Phoronix: Mesa 23.3-rc4 Released With More Fixes
- Phoronix: Louvre Is A New C++ Library Helping To Build Wayland Compositors
- Phoronix: FFmpeg's ffplay Media Player Adds Vulkan Renderer
- Phoronix: Open-Source H.264 Video Encode Coming For Allwinner V3/V3s/S3 SoCs
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Halftone
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Upscaler
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Jellybean
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Dosage
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Biblioteca
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Camera
- Tobias Bernard: "The new GTK4 version of Foliate by John Factotum is finally out, and it's gorgeous ✨…"
- chfkch: "I think i finally found a source which explains the missing links for my #BitWarden #MobileLinux app: how to decrypt the encrypted data. Better than the BW docs .…"
- Alexandre Franke: "#Fractal 5.rc1 is out! Get it hot from Flathub beta …"
- Pirate Praveen: "I'm liking the recent 5 rc release of #fractal #matrix client (from flathub-beta). It is no longer crashing at startup like earlier betas on my #librem5.…"
- Matrix.org: This Week in Matrix 2023-11-17
- Martijn Braam: "Here is Megapixels 2 built on the Xiaomi Scorpio running on the libmegapixels config from my last blog post. …"
- Zwarf: "#PicPlanner Version 0.5.0 is out! …"
- Robert Mader: "#Firefox enables #Wayland by default…"
- LINux on MOBile: "no longer failing at dbus/port…". Maybe helpful if you are experimenting with Camera apps on the PinePhone Pro running postmarketOS edge with Sxmo!
- David Heidelberg: "I couldn't fall asleep. So here it's the minetest working on postmarketOS with touchscreen support.…". Great! Gamers rejoice!
- DanctNIX: "The old domain we used to host #ArchLinuxARM for #PinePhone / #PineTab2 has expired.…". Really important for all DanctNIX users!
- Marcin Juszkiewicz: "Peter Robinson got Raspberry/Pi 5 and wrote nice summary on how support for it looks like…". Sad. I still think that it's looking better than with previous iterations at this point in time of their product lifecycle, but I did not do any due dilligence.
- Lemmy - postmarketOS: How do I install on a device that isn't in the repos? (Xiaomi Mi 9t)
- Phones (Librem 5),- Purism community: Smart tag compatible with L5
- Phones (Librem 5),- Purism community: How to toggle mobile data from cli
- Phones (Librem 5),- Purism community: Git mirror for @user0’s Firefox customizations
- Lemmy - linuxphones: Allwinner VPU gets open-source Linux driver for its H.264 hardware video encoder
- Lemmy - linuxphones: Ubuntu Touch 20.04 OTA-3 release adds support for PinePhone and PineTab devices
- Lemmy - linuxphones: Reduce password length in pmos
- Martijn Braam: Adding hardware to libmegapixels
- Lemmy - linuxphones: Adding hardware to libmegapixels
- Martijn Braam: Megapixels 2.0: DNG exporting
- Liliputing: Huawei's next version of HarmonyOS will drop support for Android apps
- Continuum Gaming: Continuum Gaming E391: Sailfish OS - Stream your screen
- UBports: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 128
- 99degree: PostmarketOS with Xiaomi Joyeuse Redmi Note 9 Pro dual boot Lineageos 20
- CodingBite: Ubuntu Touch OTA-3: Released with support for over two dozen devices
- Linux App Summit: LAS 2023 - GNOME Mobile Show & Tell The summit happened in April 2023, just FYI :)
- Linux App Summit: LAS 2023 - NemoMobile: A Modern OS for Mobile
- Michael Tunnell: Fedora 39, OLED Steam Deck, UBports, LXQt, Immutable Ubuntu & more Linux news
- 灣區生活: 基于 Sailfish OS，俄罗斯国产操作系统 Aurora OS 5 0 亮相 Yeah, no idea why this is in here - more a reminder for myself to do some research on Aurora OS 5.0.
Huge thanks to Plata for the nifty set of Python scripts that speed up collecting links from feeds by a lot.
Something missing? Want to contribute?
If your project's cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please just put it into the hedgedoc pad for the next one! Since I am collecting many things there, this get's you early access if you will ;-) If you just stumble on a thing, please put it in there too - all help is appreciated!