Two podcast episodes to listen to, an interesting hack on Droidian, and more!
Commentary in italics.
- This Week in GNOME: #119 Stylish Websites
- GNOME a11y: A new accessibility architecture for modern free desktops
- Jakub Steiner: Colorful HIG
- Guido Günther: We hit bug number #1000 in #phosh: https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/phosh/-/issues/1000(and it's surprisingly not phone related)
- Guido Günther: I ever so often close the 🎵- player and when grabbing the 📱 I'd have to unlock it to just start the 🎵 player and then 🔒 the 📱 right away again (as there's #mpris controls on the 🔒-screen then anyway). Hence I wrote a small #phosh plugin to add arbitrary "launchers" to the 🔒-screen via a desktop file.This is very simplistic atm (as we e.g. don't track app-state) but gets the job done initially.I only used it for that purpose but there's other potential use cases:
- Nate Graham: These past 2 weeks in KDE: Wayland color management, the desktop cube returns, and optional shadows in Spectacle
- Nate Graham: It’s time to port your widgets to Plasma 6
- KDE Announcement: KDE Plasma 5.27.9, Bugfix Release for October
- redstrate: My work in KDE for October 2023
- Planet KDE: Unfinished projects
- flypigs Gecko log: Day 73
- flypigs Gecko log: Day 72
- flypigs Gecko log: Day 71
- flypigs Gecko log: Day 70
- flypigs Gecko log: Day 69
- UBports News: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 125
- Ubuntu Touch Forums News: Q&A 125 Blog and Audio available now.
- Lothar: "DeltaTouch: New release v1.2.0, now in OpenStore…"
- Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.04 "Noble Numbat" Opens For Development
- Jozef Mlich: Nemomobile in October 2023
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Fretboard
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Pygenda
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Metronomek
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: "Televido (https://flathub.org/apps/de.k_bo.Televido), a new app to watch german TV, is just a few pixels too wide for #MobileLinux phones, it seems.…"
- Genode: Sculpt OS release 23.10. Quote: "[...]PinePhone version received several usability improvements[...]"
- phone-devel: [PATCH] wifi: ath11k: Defer on rproc_get failure
- phone-devel: [PATCH v4 0/4] Add samsung-matisselte and common matisse dtsi In case you are wondering: This is a tablet released in 2014.
- Phoronix: Six Great Features With The Upcoming Linux 6.6 Kernel
- Phoronix: Some Of The Features You Can Expect With Linux 6.7
- Phoronix: Linux Patches Speed-Up Kernel Crypto Functions With RISC-V Vector Extensions
- Phoronix: Mesa Turns To Hawkmoth For Improving Documentation
- Phoronix: Linux Mint Starts Working On Wayland For Cinnamon, Likely Not Fully Ready Until 2026
- Phoronix: Mesa 24.0 Enters Feature Development For Open-Source OpenGL & Vulkan Drivers
- Phoronix: Servo Web Engine Made Some Nice Progress In October
- Matrix.org: This Week in Matrix 2023-10-27
- vacuumbeef: "I've been wanting to do something like this for years and now, with my #Droidian port, I finally can. Hacked up some additional buttons that overlay #Phosh, using #EWW and #Rofi…". This is great! If you are a Phosh user and only have time to click on link in this update, click this one!
- PocketVJ: "it looks like there is finally a solution to get real gps working on oneplus6. people report that android 9.0.8 has to be flashed on both slots before installing linux…"
- caleb: "would anyone be interested in remote access to any of the following devices for the purposes of #Linux mainline development and testing? …"
- Clayton: "Doing some #postmarketOS development on a laptop running #postmarketOS.…"
- Brad Linder: "LanguageBreak Jailbreak released for recent Kindle devices running software versions 22.214.171.124.1 or lower…". If you happen to have such a device, make sure to attempt this and give the excellent KOreader a try!
- justsoup: "…I wrote a small #Rustlang program to convert postmarketOS deviceinfo files to #Lomiri deviceinfo files. That way, scaling and convergence should work!…"
- Roland Lötscher: "@GTK I'm working on Xournal++…"
- Luca Weiss: "I'm attending #UbuntuSummit this year again, and I'll have a talk titled "Open Source for Sustainable and Long lasting Phones" there, talking about #Fairphone and other great topics!…"
- kebab: "Hey #MobileLinux community, #Postmarketos community, #PinePhone community, etc, I've found that pmOS doesn't seem to have an APKBUILD for signal-desktop, so I've gone ahead and tried to make one.…"
- Brage Fuglseth: "I'm working with @fkinoshita on improving the #OpenStreetMap editing experience in #GNOME Maps!…"
- Popolon: "The Great open source #OrganicMaps (using #OSM datas) just works fine on a #Pinephone Pro with #Manjaro #Phosh dev version.…"
- hoanga: "while toying with an #emacs install on the #beepy. i found labeling what the buttons above the keyboarûd made emacs much easier to navigate…"
- @email@example.com: Finally repaired my #PinePhoneKeyboard (months after receiving the new keyboard board) - the external battery charges again, yay!,
- PINE64official (Reddit): Is the PINETAB2 good for reading PDFs?
- PINE64official (Reddit): Pinephone 4G Reconnect not happening and need for a spare battery.
- Purism community: Librem 5 - Record a GPS track
- Purism community: Why I stopped using my Librem 5 after two weeks of hassle
- Nate Graham: David Edmundson on Wayland and Quake for blind people
- Martijn Braam: Making an USB Ethernet adapter work [SR9700]
- Purism: The Real Speed of the Librem 5
- Purism community: New Post: The Real Speed of the Librem 5
- postmarketOS Podcast: #35 INTERVIEW: a-wai, devrtz, kop316 (of Mobian Fame). Great episode!
- Lemmy - postmarketOS: #35 INTERVIEW: a-wai, devrtz, kop316 (of Mobian Fame)
- Linux Lads: Episode 112: Four Cs Thick, YouTube (Did not manage to listen to it yet, YMMV ;-)
- Purism: The Real Speed of the Librem 5 If you're thinking, "This looks to good to be true": You're correct. Performance is fine, way better than the OG PinePhone, but it's does not match contemporary flagship devices - there software stacks are very bloated, but the very performant SoCs still outperform the Librem 5.
- neochapay: swipe back nemomobile
- Johan Vandegriff: streaming from my new Linux Phone! embrace the jank with me
- kajuz6: Ubuntu Touch on the Pixel 3A: a Quick demostration of the OS
- channel48: Upgrade Ubuntu touch 2 Android 14 ROM Derpfest 14 for Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
- Suraj Kumar Mahto at DebConf 23: Forming a SSH Cluster using old smartphones (Mobian and other OSes) - Sustainable Computing
Huge thanks to Plata for the nifty set of Python scripts that speed up collecting links from feeds by a lot.
Something missing? Want to contribute?
If your project's cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please just put it into the hedgedoc pad for the next one! Since I am collecting many things there, this get's you early access if you will ;-) If you just stumble on a thing, please put it in there too - all help is appreciated - especially this week! (Vacationing, with hopefully less mindless scrolling.)