Also: A Ubuntu Touch Q&A, new Manjaro builds for PinePhone (Pro), Lomiri running on Mir 2 on postmarketOS, a timeline for Plasma 6, rustup packagaed in Debian and more!
Commentary in italics.
- This Week in GNOME: #118 Performant Terminals
- Planet GNOME: Linux Desktop Migration Tool This should also work on Phones, I'd guess.
- Guido Günther: After lots of cleanup over the past #phoc releases I'm inclined to switch #phoc's main branch to track #wlroots git rather than the latest stable version as I can then catch up with new wlroots features faster. Stable releases would then be cut from a wlroots-0.xy branch tracking the stable wlroots version. Good idea? #phosh #bananui[ ] yes, wlroots git it is[ ] no, wlroots stable pls
- KDE Announcements: KDE Ships Frameworks 5.111.0
- Nate Graham: No TWiK this week
- TSDGeos: KDE February Mega Release schedule (the thing with Qt6 on it)
- anditosan: It’s Been a Minute… 👋
- Community News - Sailfish OS Forum: Sailfish Community News, 19th October, Community
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 66
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 65
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 64
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 63
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 62
- UBports News: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 124. After a drought of Q%A's, there are now so many, that the people transcribing and publishing audio only can't keep up - check out No 126 below.
- Unofficial Ubuntu Touch for PinePhone (Pro): upstream. Now using the official infrastructure to build images, which is a great achievement!
- Ubuntu Touch Forums News: Win a Volla Phone 22
- MarkG: "I remember when Pine64 announced that the default operating system would be Manjaro Plasma for the Pinephone Pro (see link).…" Fortunately, it looks like there's still some activity:
- Manjaro PinePhone Plasma Mobile: Beta 15 RC5
- Manjaro PinePhone Phosh: Beta 35
- phone-devel: [PATCH 1/2] dt-bindings: arm: qcom: Add Huawei Honor 5X / GR5 (2016)
- phone-devel: [PATCH] dt-bindings: arm: cpus: Add Qualcomm Kryo 465
- phone-devel: [PATCH v2 0/2] Add driver for NXP PTN36502 Type-C redriver
- phone-devel: [PATCH v2 0/3] Handle reversed SBU orientation for FSA4480
- megi's PinePhone Development Log: New GIT mirror Yay!
- Phoronix: Vulkan 1.3.269 Released With New Extension For Launching CUDA Kernels
- Phoronix: Mesa 23.3 Merges Initial Support For RDNA3 Refresh "GFX11.5" Graphics
- Phoronix: Linux's DRM GPUVM Code Relicensed From GPLv2-Only To GPLv2 Or MIT
- Phoronix: GCC 14 Feature Development Ends Next Month
- Phoronix: Multi-Grained Timestamps Revised Following Revert From Linux 6.6
- Matrix.org: This Week in Matrix 2023-10-20
- Thorsten Leemhuis (1/4): "As #Linux #kernel community, process, and quality problems are discussed due to critical toots from @marcan a quick reminder:…"
- Josh Triplett: Some wonderful news: as of today, rustup is packaged in Debian, which makes it much easier to install. Rather than using curl and running a script that wants to ask interactive questions (or passing several command-line options), you can
apt install rustupand
rustup install stableand you're done.
- Amy 🇹🇭🏳️⚧️: "Fun fact: The XDG desktop portal for GNOME mobile is not adaptive, despite Nautilus being Adaptive (Nautilus is still not yet perfect on mobile but it's getting there)…"
- caleb: "just a random shoutout for https://flash.pmos.org which is still so damn cool... unless you hate webUSB, in which case dont click the link…"
- libcamera: "The camera team at @Raspberry_Pi talk about the internals of how image sensors work on their platform, and what's new in #Pi5. …"
- Марко Пејовић: "GNOME 45 Mobile. This menu shines on a smartphone.…"
- kelbot ◖⎚∠⎚◗: "I just want a more modern one of these that runs linux. Is that so much to ask? …" +1
- justsoup: "Lomiri on Mir2 runs on postmarketOS now! This is a milestone because it is the updating of the entire desktop to the newest version and also to use Wayland!…"
- redstrate: "I kind of went nuts with PlasmaTube (KDE's Invidious client) this afternoon!…"
- Luigi311: "Ive taken some pictures on all 3 native #linuxmobile devices in case anyone wants to see how they do in automatic point and shoot scenarios.…"
- Clayton: "It's 2023 and there's still no caldav/carddav provider support in #gnome online-accounts. 😭️…". While this does not affect me as a Nextcloud user, I really hope this makes it. So tired of seeing this come up again and again!
- Sonny: "We are hiring contractors to work on #GNOME and the #Linux Desktop …"
- joey castillo: "holy shit it's done. The Open Book submitted for the 2023 Hackaday Prize, with 45 minutes to spare. …"
- Jozef Mlich: "I've discovered how to handle phone calls 📞 via telepathy in #Amazfish! …"
- PinePhoneOfficial (Reddit): Suggestion reverse order of instructions for Ubuntu Touch on Pine with tow-boot Very good points, but editing the wiki ("fixing it upstream") is more impactful.
- PINE64official (Reddit): So, how should I go around dual booting Glodroid (SD) and Postmarketos (eMMC) on a PinePhone Beta edition? I think tow-boot might help here, but I've not played much with it on the OG PinePhone - if you know it would help, please help that person out!_
- Purism community: [Cross-]Compiling for the Librem5?
- Purism community: L5 Items that still need to be polished mentioned in various other blogs Oct 2023
- Volker Krause: OSM Hack Weekend September 2023
- Purism: DOJ Antitrust Lawsuit: Apple Sells Access to iOS End Users to Google!
- Continuum Gaming: Continuum Gaming E387: SpritRadar
- Ubuntu Touch: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 126 Florian and Alfred, together again! 20.04 OTA 3 is approaching, and many questions answered!
- cemaxecuter: WarDragon Sending SMS over LTE Test (b205mini, PinePhone, OnePlus 3)
- yomboprime: Pinephone Pro thermal fingerprint filmed with a Topdon TC-001
- Mark: building droidian for cactus
- Michael Tretter at XDC 2023: Wayland Shells for Embedded Systems, via Guido Günther
- RTP Tech Tips: Chatcontrol Lobbied Flawed Polls & Why Dino XMPP Messenger
Huge thanks to Plata for the nifty set of Python scripts that speed up collecting links from feeds by a lot.
Something missing? Want to contribute?
If your project's cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please just put it into the hedgedoc pad for the next one! Since I am collecting many things there, this get's you early access if you will ;-) If you just stumble on a thing, please put it in there too - all help is appreciated!