The Fairphone 5, a Nemo Mobile progress report, updates on ports of Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish to PINE64 devices, LiveG OS for PinePhone and a lot more!
Commentary in italics.
- Fairphone 5. IMHO, the interesting bit is that Fairphone are not using a Snapdragon chip here, but one of Qualcomm's chips intended for IoT, "performance comparison". I bet (others too) that this a decision due to better/longer product support lifecycle in Qualcomm's IoT segment, making reasonable long-term support easier on Fairphone. See how Linux in mentioned as a supported platfrom? I hope this makes the Fairphone 5 more suitable than its predecessors for Mobile Linux, especially mainline-ish things. So far, it shows a lot of promise!
- This Week in GNOME: #111 Number One
- sophieh: Viewing Images in GNOME: Loupe and Glycin
- tchx84: Portfolio 1.0.0
- feborges: An update on GNOME Settings
- GNOME Shell & Mutter: Extensions in GNOME 45
- figuiere: Dev Log August 2023. Not really mobile anything, just happy to see some work on Abiword!
- Guido Günther: Thanks to @antonok libcall-ui's main branch now uses GTK4/libadwaita. We've also tagged 0.2.0~beta1 for that.For GTK3/libhandy applications there's still the 0.1.x branch.#gtk #gnome #phosh
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: Custom ordering for KRunner search results
- Carl Schwan: Frameless view with QtWidgets
- bobulate: Calamares Releases (3.2.62 and 3.3.0-alpha3)
- MauiKit blog: Maui Release Briefing # 3
- adampigg: Latest update for #SailfishOS on the @PINE64 #Pinephone finally fixes the call audio quality, includes kernel 6.5.0 and has a working camera (install harbour-shutter)
- adampigg: Updated @kde #Kasts #Elisa and #Tokodon for #SailfishOS to v184.108.40.206
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 17
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 16
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 15
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 14
- flypig's Gecko log: Day 13
- Unofficial Ubuntu Touch for PinePhone (Pro): v0.9
- Ubuntu Touch Forums News: Today is Q&A Day
- UBports - Mastodon: We will be at #FestaSoftwareLivre2023 and #UbuconPortugal2023 sharing a stand with @ubuntuportugal Festa do Software Livre 2023, is the biggest #FreeSoftware and #opensource Software community organized event in Portugal, where multiple communities get together to celebrate Free Software and Open Source community, and run either conference tracks or do their own conferences within.https://festa2023.softwarelivre.eu/
- Lemmy - linuxphones: Phone for Ubuntu Touch
- Lemmy - linuxphones: Ubuntu Touch - How to use Keepass via Nextcloud
- Jozef Mlich: Nemomobile in August/2023
- Mobian Blog: Mobian Security Update #1
- Phoronix: Debian Dropping Its 32-bit MIPS Little Endian "mipsel" Port
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: Apps: Pinephone MPV
- postmarketOS: Apps by Category: Eloitor: Add Fretboard and group it with Lingot
- CNX Software: Linux 6.5 release – Notable changes, Arm, RISC-V and MIPS architectures
- phone-devel: Re: [PATCH 11/11] arm64: dts: qcom: qcm6490: Add device-tree for Fairphone 5
- megis PinePhone Development Log: Linux repository changes
- Matrix.org: This Week in Matrix 2023-09-01
- Felicitas Pojtinger 🌊: "Honestly, I don't think there is a better way to read your morning news than in Links on a memory LCD. This is how the internet is meant to be consumed …" - Mastodon
- Vagrant Cascadian: "I was excited to experiment with #rk2aw at first, which allows additional flexibility with low-level bootloader selection for several #RockChip systems…"
- Servo: "Floats are now supported in the new Servo nightly! …"
- Kyle Rankin: "Now that I have a printer that can print flexible filaments again, I've been able to try out a few TPU cases for my Librem 5 (I modified a Librem 5 slim model to remove most of the back).…"
- Schmiddi on Mobile: "A new release of Flare, a #linux and #mobilelinux app to chat with your friends on Signal, is now out!…"
- @firstname.lastname@example.org: My #beepy works now!
- Purism community: Where are the schematics for the Librem Liberty?
- Purism community: Rob Braxman's review of the Librem 5
- Purism community: The Librem 5 Kicks Ass
- thelins.se: Revisiting the PinePhone
- Drew DeVaults blog: AI crap
- Purism: We Have Your Phone Ready to Ship!
- Purism community: New Post: We Have Your Phone Ready to Ship!
- Neil Brown: A month using XMPP (using Snikket) for every call and chat
- The Evil Skeleton: Misconceptions About Immutable Distributions
- LiveG Technologies: LiveG OS: now for the PinePhone and Raspberry Pi · LiveG Showcase Ep. 4
- CNET: Fairphone 5 Review: A Noble Cause, an Imperfect Phone
- Jhony Kernel: Install CSSU Nokia N900 | CSSU Nokia N900
- UBports: UBports Q&A 123. The first Q&A in a long time contains not only what has happened, but also near-term (OTA 3) and longer term plans. Do watch it/listen!
- Jozef Mlich: Amazfish on ubports via miracast
- baonks 81: ArchLinux ARM aarch64 ttyescape hkdm buffyboard on SM-T355Y kernel-6.3.0-postmarketos-msm8916
- FSiC2023: Open Source for Sustainable and Long lasting Phones, Luca Weiss, Fairphone Missed this when it came out.
- RTP Tech Tips: Hardware On Qubes: X220 Tablet / Touchscreen Working
Huge thanks to Plata for the nifty set of Python scripts that speed up collecting links from feeds by a lot.
Something missing? Want to contribute?
If your project's cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please just put it into the hedgedoc pad for the next one! Since I am collecting many things there, this get's you early access if you will ;-) If you just stumble on a thing, please put it in there too - all help is appreciated!