Weekly GNU-like Mobile Linux Update (20/2023): Fedora on OnePlus 6 and a flood of handhelds
Table of Contents
Also: postmarketOS calls for testing, a Jailbreak for a KaiOS 3 flip phone, Nemo Mobile on yet another device, Manjaro Beta RCs for PinePhone (Pro), an update on SculptOS on the PinePhone and more!
Commentary in italics.
- First KaiOS 3.x device jailbreak: Nokia 2780 Flip | Lobsters Sadly, this device is US only, and looking at the LTE bands supported, importing may be a waste of time.
- Byte Welder: Building a handheld PC. Nice project!
- Liliputing: Beepberry is a $79 hackable pocket computer kit with a BlackBerry keyboard The Beeper user writing this Weekly Update did pre-order.
- Fedora mobility member Markus now has working Oneplus 6 builds (with a lot of help from PostmarketOS files and members).
- This Week in GNOME: #96 Polished Settings
- Sonny: "Update on Blueprint and Workbench…"
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: Preliminary HDR support
- KDE Announcements: KDE Ships Frameworks 5.106.0
- Community News - Sailfish OS Forum: Sailfish Community News, 18th May, Busybox ash
- fredldotme on twitter: So I'm going all-in on tablet computing,,,
- fredldotme on twitter: If you're free this coming Saturday and understand German, I'll be talking about #UbuntuTouch during the @hello_volla Community Days! Feel free to join!. Link below!
- neochapay on twitter: Welcome Qt6 on #nemomobile controls ^_^
- neochapay on twitter: https://youtu.be/M5QSIrcWhM8 Hello #nemomobile on android devices !
- postmarketOS Blog: Call For Testers Help out (if you can), please!
- Manjaro PinePhone Plasma Mobile: Beta 15 RC3
- Manjaro PinePhone Phosh: Beta 32 RC1
- Fedora is coming to the OnePlus 6, (blog post, image) in addition to PinePhones!
- postmarketOS: Apps by Category: Eloitor: /* Internet */: Add Bavarder and Imaginer AI clients.
- GeopJr: "#Tuba v0.3.0 is now available,…" By now, we're at 0.3.2, but this only means that more bugs have been squashed!
- phone-devel: Re: [PATCH v3 3/3] arm64: dts: qcom: sdm845-shift-axolotl: enable flash LEDs
- phone-devel: [PATCH v3 0/3] arm64: dts: qcom: pmi8998: add and enable flash LED controller
- Norman Feske: What's new in Sculpt OS 23.04 Nice!
- Lup Yuen: Inside a Smartphone Accelerometer: PinePhone with NuttX RTOS - Hackster.io
- Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 12.0 Released With Multi-GPU Support, PipeWire Backend, Tearing Control
- Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.71 Released With Performance Improvements, Zero Latency JACK D-Bus Bridge
- Phoronix: sdl12-compat Gets More Games Working For This SDL1-On-SDL2 Compatibility Layer
- joelselvaraj: "Sensors working in Oneplus 6 r…" Great progress, made possible by Dylan and Joel. Now I need to find time to report that my OP6 is upside down in portrait/fine in landscape, right?
- r/postmarketOS: Pinephone Pro Camera Support?
- PINE64official (Reddit): PINE64: Weekly discussion | May 19, 2023 PineTab 2 might be slightly delayed.
- Purism community: Mobile-Friendly Firefox Customizations for Librem 5
- Purism community: Quick Tutorial for OnionShare (including creating and hiding desktop icons)
- Chris Vogel: "@firstname.lastname@example.org Now, 13 month later, the..." About Librem 5 screen protectors.
- Drew Naylor: "#Retiled v0.1 Developer Previe…"
- @email@example.com: Just logo things (with Imaginer https://flathub.org/apps/page.codeberg.Imaginer.Imaginer) Seriously though, what do you think?
- maggu2810: OnePlus 6: Fedora. Awesome!
- Purism: Is Advanced AI a Reason to Decouple from The Centralized Internet?
Worth Watching 1
- neochapay: NemoMobile on readmi
- Nate Graham: KDE developer interviews from Augsburg, Germany, Peertube
- Volla: LIVE – Volla Community Days '23 – Day 1 -
- kajuz6: How to install AngelFish Browser on Sailfish OS 4.5!
- UnboxingTomorrow: PinePhone Unboxing: 200 Days Later - YouTube
- Edson Matheus: postmarketos interface gnome oneplus 6t - YouTube
- Anino Ni Kugi: Malakiboard for Ubuntu Touch | Maliit Keyboard But Bigger - YouTube
- Twinntech: PInephone with a SIM card May 2023 update - YouTube
Huge thanks to Plata for the nifty set of Python scripts that speed up collecting links from feeds by a lot.
Something missing? Want to contribute?
If your project's cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please just put it into the hedgedoc pad for the next one! Since I am collecting many things there, this get's you early access if you will ;-) If you just stumble on a thing, please put it in there too - all help is appreciated!
Sadly, the Searx instance I (ab)used to generate a list of videos has been upgraded, and thus the search result feeds I used sadly no longer work. Due to a lack of time, this Weekly Update thus has fewer videos to offer. If you care deeply about videos, please help finding them and add them to the pad!