Weekly Update (15/2022): Frameworks, Components and a place that tracks PinePhone Pro software status
Table of Contents
Another calm week, where improvement happens by many tiny steps, done one at a time.
Commentary in italics.
- This Week in GNOME: #39: Sending Locations. Many nice improvements to existing and upcoming convergent apps plus Aarch64 flatpak runners, awesome!
- James Westman: Next Steps for Blueprint
- KDE Community: KDE Ships Frameworks 5.93.0.
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: a feast for the eyes.
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: Stable desktop icons and even better gestures. Great progress!
- Volker Krause: Requiring passing unit tests on KDE’s CI.
- Qt Dev Blog: Qt 6.3 released.
- KDE Eco: GCompris 2.4 Release: Improved Data Efficiency Conserves Network Bandwidth, Saves Energy.
- Felipe Kinoshita: LoadingMessage component for Kirigami.
- Mobian blog: Moving to Tow-Boot: Towards Device-Independant Images
- The founder of Kupfer, an Arch Linux ARM based distribution for several (mainly Snapdragon 845 powered) Linux Phones, Kate, stepped down this week. Details can be read in Kupfer's Matrix room. I hope that the project will be continued!
- Another messaging product might come to Linux Phones, soon. Sadly, I did not manage to build the software on any of my ARM devices.
- Healthy proof that the Librem 5 with postmarketOS can take pictures!
PINE64 Community Update
- PINE64: April update: no more unicorns. Wireless earbuds, ElementaryOS mobile... interesting! Also, the PinePhone Pro Wiki Improvments are really great!
- xnux.eu log (Megi): PinePhone keyboard keymaps.
- Tobias Bernard for Purism: How to be Upstream-First. Great read!
Chromium and Qt
- Phoronix: Google Chrome/Chromium Experimenting With A Qt Back-End. Is this beneficial to Linux Phones? I don't know, but I don't think it can hurt.
PINE64 Community Update
- PINE64: April Update: No More Unicorns. Another great synopsis by PizzaLovingNerd!
PinePhone Pro In Depth
- nordkamp: The PinePhone Pro is REALLY Exciting: Arch ARM, Plasma Mobile, Waydroid, SSH Overview. Nice video!
- Scientific Perspective: Droidian GNU/Linux | PHOSH | Multirom feat. AOSP | POCO F1.
- Jeremy's Tech Channel: Lets Talk about Open Source Phones, Mobile Open Source, Linux Phones, and What's Available!!!. What, Linux Phones are a thing?
- Danct12: DOOM running on PineNote.
- Danct12: Windows XP on PineNote.
- (RTP) Privacy Tech Tips: Pinetime: Now Privacy Friendly (Bluetooth Can Be Disabled!).
- nephitejnf: Giving SXMO a Real Go, One Day in and More to Come. Not new, but I somehow missed this earlier. Better late than never, am I right?
If your projects' cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please get in touch via social media or email!