In other news: Shitphones are smart, a new phone that's going to be available with Ubuntu Touch, fun handheld hardware, funding for GNOME Shell Mobile and a Squeekboard bugfix release.
Commentary in italics.
- Liliputing: Volla Phone 22 runs Ubuntu Touch or a privacy-focused Android fork… or both (crowdfunding). While its an unlikely target for mainline Linux, its nice to see another Phone that officially supports Ubuntu Touch. Unless I am completely mistaken, its based on the Gigaset GS5 phone, which is definitely decent.
- This Week in GNOME: #40: Rows and Containers. Nice improvements - and it looks like someone needs to add another app to LinuxPhoneApps.org!
- Ergaster: Funding decentralised/local-first applications for GNOME.
- chergert: Porting GNOME Builder to GTK 4.
- Squeekboard had a bugfix release (1.17.1), fixing a rather bad scaling bug.
- Felipe Kinoshita: Tasks. Nice little app!
- KDE Announcements: KDE Gear 22.04. Nice improvements to Elisa, KDE Itinerary and Kalendar is now part of Gear!
- flypig: Sailfish Community News, 21st April, Sailfish SDK 3.9. Must read for Sailfish fans :)
- Maemo Leste: Sixteenth Update: November and December 2021, January - April 2022. Great progress! While the Conversations and phone app still require turning on the beowulf-devel repo, this is really impressive.
- postmarketOS: v21.12 Service Pack 4. Great, incremental improvements for postmarketOS's stable release!
- Chris Lord: WebKit frame delivery. Nice performance improvements on Wayland!
Running Software for other architectures
- Phoronix: Box86 0.2.6 / Box64 0.1.8 Released With Working Steam & Steam Play On Non-x86 CPUs.
- Phoronix: QEMU 7.0 Released With Intel AMX Support, Many RISC-V Additions.
- If you've ever wondered how to use the real GNOME Desktop on a Linux Phone, PineFLOWn has some nice info for you!
- Organic Maps is now on Flathub. Obviously, due to writing this update, I did not manage to try the app yet, but it's definitely exciting! Update 2022-04-23: Never mind. It's not for Linux Phones (yet).
- GNOME Shell Mobile gets funding from Germany. Finally something useful done with my taxes! ;-)
Smartphones are shit
- Jack Leightcap: Smartphones are Shit: the Case for LineageOS and the Pinephone. _Check the hn discussion if you feel like it.
- Matthew Garrett: The Freedom Phone is not great at privacy. Wasn't there a tradeoff between freedom and security, anyway? On a more serious note: This is even worse than I expected.
Impressions of Ubuntu Touch
- mr.smashy: Linux for Smartphones.
Sxmo on powerful hardware
- Anjandev Momi: Sxmo on the poco f1. Nice notch-handling!
Impressions of postmarketOS
- Jesse Smith for Distrowatch: postmarketOS on the PinePhone.
- Neil Brown: A global "scale-to-fit" for the PinePhone Pro. It's quick and simple, but I still stand by my recommendation.
More Hardware from Germany (well, maybe)
- TuxPhones: The PocketReform is a made-in-Berlin Linux handheld. Nice, but I am not sold on that keyboard.
- Ivon Huang: PinePhone runs without a battery.
- ItsMCB: Installing Tow-Boot On My Pine64 PinePhone Pro.
- CyberPunked: Ubuntu Touch - Google Pixel 3a (Sargo) - OTA-22 (2022-04-15).
- CyberPunked: Ubuntu Touch - OnePlus 6t / fajita (devel 2022-04-18) - double tap to wake.
- anino207: Hidden Feature in Ubuntu Touch Keyboard #shorts.
- anino207: Ubuntu Touch Gestures.
Abusing (?) postmarketOS
- Le.Chiffre: DIY: 10$ Raspberry Pi 4 alternative Samsung A5 with Alpine Linux PostmarketOS SSH docker pihole.
If your projects' cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please get in touch via social media or email!