It's sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
PINE64's last Update in 2020, GTK 4.0, Sxmo 1.2.0, Plasma Mobile news and more. Commentary in italics.
Software releases and announcements
- Phosh 0.7.1 has been announced, a minor release containing a few bug fixes – full release notes.
- Sxmo 1.2.0 has been released. Make sure to watch the video linked below.
- OpenSUSE/slem.os has seen another release, featuring Phosh, Phoc, new GNOME 3.38 apps and fixes to the Modem.
- Mobian: Status update 2020-12-15. a-wai, head of the Mobian project, wrote a nice update here.
- Manjaro Phosh Beta 4 has been announced, featuring Megi's new 5.10 kernel and many other updates. Stay tuned for my video on this new Manjaro release.
- PINE64: December Update: The Longest One Yet. This is even longer than usual, as it also contains a "2020: Year in review section". Maybe just watch the video (linked below) and read Brad's take.
- LinuxSmartphones: PinePhone keyboard and wireless charging add-ons are on the way. Brad's take.
- GTK Development Blog: GTK 4.0. This is nice to see. There are already plenty new mobile optimized apps in the works based on GTK 4.
- Plasma Mobile: Plasma Mobile is finishing 2020 strong with new updates. Nice update. That 5.21 release is going to be quite something!
- 9to5 Linux: KDE’s Plasma Mobile UI Is Now Faster and Less Resource-Intensive. 9to5 Linux's take.
- FOSS2go: December news from the world of Plasma Mobile. FOSS2go's take.
- LinuxSmartphones: Plasma Mobile picks up performance, theme, and app improvements. Brad's take.
- Plasma Mobile: Plasma Mobile: Technical debt and moving forward
- FOSS2go: Plasma Mobile is dropping support for Halium devices. FOSS2go's take.
- LinuxSmartphones: KDE Plasma Mobile ends Halium support, shifts focus to phones running mainline Linux kernel. Brad's take.
- UBports: Ubuntu Touch OTA-15 Release. Remember: OTA 15 is for all devices but the PinePhone.
- FOSS2go: OTA-15 for Ubuntu Touch is coming: what’s new?. FOSS2go's take.
- LinuxSmartphones: Ubuntu Touch OTA-15 brings bug fixes and support for more phones. Brad's take.
- FOSS2go: Kernel update available on Ubuntu Touch in Pinephone.. 5.10. Nice and promising. Remember, major improvements are likely to land as side products of the transition to Qt 5.12.
- LinuxSmartphones: Manjaro, Mobian, and OpenSUSE release updated OS images for the PinePhone. Nice release summary!
- LinuxSmartphones: Sxmo 1.2.0 adds support for gesture controls. Brad's take on the new Sxmo release.
- Gamey: Matrix on the Pinephone & Librem5 #2. Great write-up! Please remember that Hydrogen is another great option, working nicely in Firefox, Chromium and Epiphany/Gnome Web.
- postmarketOS podcast: #1: History. Even if you don't usually listen to podcasts, to listen to this one. It's really worth it.
- Arbitrary Tech: Pinephone Usability Review. Despite the title, this video focuses on Sailfish OS and Mobian and does not take other distributions into account.
- PINE64: December Update: the Longest One Yet. Great video by PizzaLovingNerd!
- Gardiner Bryant: HEAD TO HEAD: The Librem 5 vs. PinePhone Manjaro Edition. This is something many people have been waiting for: A head to head comparison of Librem 5 and PinePhone. Surprisingly, the Librem 5 is not ahead everywhere, but honestly, I would have likely decided to shoot again while editing. Still, with all these caveats, it's worth watching.
- Gardiner Bryant: "Are Linux Smartphones about to KILL Android?" RE: Mrwhosetheboss. A rare RE: video that might actually be worth watching.
- proycon: SXMO 1.2.0: A minimalist UI for Linux phones like the pinephone. Nice video that also demos the new gestures in Sxmo that I had shown off way back when in my video.
- Pedro Francisco: Sailfish en Pinephone. Nice.
- Privacy & Tech Tips: Pinephone: Linux Security Options + Current Setup & More. If you care about additional security and privacy on your PinePhone, you really should watch this video.
- everydaypine: PinePhone with Manjaro Arm Beta 4 (Phosh). Nice video!
- Linux Lounge: PinePhone Manjaro CE Unboxing & First Impressions. YAPUV!
- Linux Lounge: Testing Calls On The PinePhone Manjaro CE. Calls. They aren't easy to demo, which is why I hate doing it. From what I've experienced on Arch Linux ARM and heard about Mobian, the situation is less grim than this video makes it sound.
Ubuntu Touch Corner
- Elatronion: PinePhone UBPorts Ubuntu Touch Lomiri: The Most Developed Mobile Linux OS. Great video on Ubuntu Touch!
- UBports: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 91. It's their last Q&A for the year, so it's a 2020 in review session. You've been warned.
Stuff I did
I made two videos about PureOS on the PinePhone:
- a short walkthrough through it that got totally sidetracked by suddenly getting into gaming: YouTube, PeerTube;
- and one just about SuperTuxKart (PeerTube exclusive).
Also, I procrastinated on a blog post that I am hopefully going to publish next week.