Weekly Update (10/2022): Squeekboard gets a new look, Nheko 0.9.2, Dirty Pipes and Tow-Boot being released for PinePhone and PinePhone Pro
Table of Contents
There's some good news and some bad news. Dirty Pipe is not a fun vulnerability, and our GNU/Linux Phones have new enough kernels to be vulnerable. At least that new Spectre variant does not affect Cortex A53 phones - having in-order cores only is not always disadvantageous.
Commentary in italics.
- Danct12 has ported postmarketOS to the original Snapdragon 835 variant of the Fxtec Pro1.
- Tow-Boot 2021.10-004: Now more mobile has been released, supporting the PinePhone and PinePhone Pro among many other ARM devices. The great thing about Tow-Boot is that it supports EBBR, which basically means Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and thus standardized booting on your phone.
- Squeekboard 1.17 has been released, featuring an updated visual design among other things.
- Marcus Lundblad: Maps and GNOME 42.
- GNOME: GSoC 2022: GNOME Foundation has been accepted as a mentor organization!.
- This Week in GNOME: #34 No Backup No Mercy.
- KDE has been accepted into GSoC, these are potential projects.
- KDE Eco: Celebrate Energy Conservation Day With KDE Eco. Preserving energy also has benefits for resource constrained mobile devices. ;-)
- Tsdgeos: Okular: Signature support now works on Android.
Other app releases
- Nheko (Matrix client) have released 0.9.2. Message bubbles!
- Manjaro ARM with Plasma Mobile Beta 11 has been released.
- UBports news: Your biweekly UBports news during troubled times!. Ubuntu Touch OTA 22, JingPad images and more.
- If you like minimal setups, you'll like what kelbot came up with #PineDA
- TuxPhones: Booting ARM Linux the standard way.
- Phoronix: Tow-Boot Sees New Release As User-Friendly U-Boot Distribution.
- Janet Blackquill: New tools in the QML LSP collection: qml-dap, qml-dbg, and qml-lint.
- Kyle Rankin for Purism: My First Year of Librem 5 Convergence. Nice report! I wish Purism would enable zram by default.
Potentially Worth watching1
PinePhone Pro Initial Impressions
- Jacob David Cunningham: Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition first couple of days.
- Bitter Epic Skits: PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition UNBOXING. I finally have it!.
- Canadian Bitcoiners: PinePhone Pro Unboxing - The Ultimate Privacy Phone Is Here?. Just a word regarding the title: It's a phone meant to run Linux, that's still in the process of hardware enablement. Yes, GNU/Linux is less spyware ridden than other operating systems, but does this make the PinePhone Pro a "privacy smartphone"? You can probably make it one, but we're not there yet.
- (RTP) Privacy Tech Tips: 🔒 Lynis Scanner: Linux Hardening
If your projects' cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please get in touch via social media or email!
Sadly I did not have time to watch any of the longer videos in here this week. So... have fun!