It's sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
Phosh and Squeekboard, Manjaro, DanctNIX and OpenSUSE see new releases, PINE64 show more PinePhone accessories and more! Commentary in italics.
Software development and releases
- phosh 0.10.1 has been released: Bug fixes auto rotation and more! Make sure to read the full release notes.
- The GNOME on Mobile virtual keyboard, Squeekboard, have announced a new release, 1.13.0. New features include Caps Lock, locale-flavoured terminal layouts and more. Read the full release notes.
- Arch Linux ARM/DanctNIX Mobile has also seen a new release, shipping, among other things, the new releases mentioned above.
- Manjaro have released new beta images for the PinePhone: Phosh beta 8 and Plasma Mobile beta 4.
- Manjaro have also brought their package manager Pamac to the PinePhone by using libhandy.
- OpenSUSE have silently published new PinePhone images with Phosh and Plasma Mobile.
- Biktor has a released a new version of his alternative, FOSS PinePhone Modem firmware. Make sure to also read the section on the Modem in PINE64's community update.
- TuxPhones: The RUHAcam is an open-source, 3D-printed Linux camera based on Raspberry Pi. Not a phone, but still interesting!
- Andrew M. designed a weighted PinePhone stand. Nice!
- An effort for a new Signal client for Linux Phones based on the Rust library libsignal-client was announced on the forums and on Reddit, then started as a Plasma Mobile app but eventually becoming a Kirigami adaption of Whisperfish, the Signal client for SailfishOS.
- If you are a fan of both, RetroArch and postmarketOS, rejoice!
- twongkee: Pinephone Megapixels vs cli ffmpeg. ffmpeg experiments are always fun.
- Gamey: My Pinephone daily driver setup!. Nice setup!
- Bhushan Shah: Walled Gardens. A few good thoughts on the new Signal effort above.
- FOSS2go: Manjaro ARM 21.04 released: new application for flashing images.
- Purism: App Showcase: Drawing. Nice app!
- Han Young: Season of KDE 2021 Status Report. Great!
- FOSS2go: TELEports for Pinephone has been fixed. Great to see improvements here!
- Qt Dev Loop: Introducing Qt Quick 3D Particles. Something to look forward to in Qt 6.
- PINE64: April Update: New Developments. Another big update. Sticking to PinePhone, there's news on the Beta Edition (on schedule), and it's accessories: The keyboard and fingerprint reader/Qi charging back cover are getting closer to release.
- Linux Smartphones: Ubuntu Touch for the PinePhone is moving to a new kernel for better hardware support. Brad highlights an important aspect of PINE64's community update here.
- UBports: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 98 blog post. The written and audio release of last weeks Q&A.
- PINE64: April Update: New Developments. Once again, a great video by PizzaLovingNerd!
- Privacy & Tech Tips: Pine64 LoRa Radio Texting Long Range Using Low Power: Linux Gateway + Modules Including On Pinephone. A first look at PINE64's new LoRa products!
- Martijn Braam: Glacier WIP for postmarketOS Note that a few bugs have already been fixed since. I recently tried the "official" Manjaro based-devel image and had a slightly better, overall similar experience.
- Sk4zZi0uS: PinePhone Challenge 2 week update (Moving to Manjaro Phosh) - 2021-04-08 Nice ramblings, looking forward to his experience with Manjaro Phosh!
- E. Matt Armstrong: PinePhone Arch Distro Spin Part 5 More Apps. Nice continuation of a series.
- Hammad Farooq: Signal-Desktop-5.0.0 running on Pinephone. Running yes, working no. Make sure to read a related Reddit thread.
Stuff I did
None, sorry. But there's hope for next week!
- I tried to do something with the PineCube PINE64 sent me. And I am going to use it as a camera in my next live stream.
- Work on this blog's Zola migration continues: There are still years of posts to be looked at and frontmatter editing, the theme needs work (and a few decisions on features and questions like modern vs. minimal), and... and... But: I managed to get Zola running on my current hoster by compiling it in a CentOS 7 virtual machine and most importantly, I am still on schedule.
I added three apps to LINMOBapps, so that we have a total of 252 apps right now: Pamac (see above); Telegrand, a WIP GTK4/libadwaita Telegram client written in Rust; and Lith, a WeeChat client. I also a removed few things from the LINMOBapps repository and put them in their own repositories: APKBUILDs, PKGBUILDs and tweaks. See here what (else) happened. Please do contribute!