It's sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
New distribution releases, JumpDrive 0.6, a bigger battery for the Librem 5, Linux App Summit talks, Plasma Mobile's October Update and more. Commentary in italics.
Software releases and improvements
- Arch Linux ARM/DanctNIX Mobile has seen another release. Most notable is that they clock the RAM lower now by default, so if you have had crashes previously while trying this distribution, you can now try it again.
- Manjaro have released Phosh beta 2, downloads.
- Also, if you have not been updating your Mobian install in a while, because you read about possible breakage: [You can apparently upgrade it now again(https://social.librem.one/@chrichri/105204574174115135). If you broke your install, current builds should be fine for starting over.
- FOSSphones: Why Are Linux Phones So Important. Nice read!
- LinuxSmartphones: JumpDrive OS flashing tool now supports PineTab and 3GB PinePhone. It kind of did before, but now there is a new release.
- Plasma Mobile: Plasma Mobile update: October 2020. Impressive update. I am really looking forward to all this to stabilize.
- Tux Phones: ⚡ Plasma Mobile gets major UI improvements, several bugfixes. Raffaele's summary of the above.
- Purism: Librem 5 4500mAh Battery Upgrade. This is great news. The phone can allegedly now last a work day in idle, not in suspend, which solves all these “Does it wake up fast enough when a call comes in” problems that exist with suspend on the PinePhone. Sure, in a way it’s a hack, but it’s a good one in my opinion.
- LinuxSmartphones: Purism upgrades the Librem 5 Linux phone battery to 4,500 mAh ahead of shipping. Brad's take on the topic mentioned above.
- Gamey: Pinephone: Liri App Collection. Browser, Text, Terminal, Files / ArchLinux ARM PhoshPinephone: Liri App Collection. Browser, Text, Terminal, Files / ArchLinux ARM Phosh. Interesting post if you ever wondered about using Liri apps on your PinePhone.
- Avisando: PinePhone "Desktop mode" Phosh Manjaro. Awesome video!
- Avisando: PinePhone - Pogo Pins. If you ever wondered about the Pogo Pins, maybe this video helps.
- BitBooger: How to install (flash) Mobian on (to) your PinePhone!. Great video, glad that someone takes on the "How to" business for everyday PinePhone chores. Unfortunately, there are few mistakes made, but I tried to point those out in the comments.
- GeoTech Land: Ubuntu Touch OTA-14 & Pinephone Update. Nice update!
- Liliputing/Linux Smartphones: PinePhone: KDE Neon with Plasma UI. It's rough.
- Jaquen hgar: PinePhone Ubuntu Touch - Hands On. This a german video detailing the current state of Ubuntu Touch on the PinePhone.
- Pako St: OBS on Manjaro ARM from Pinebook Pro test capture of PinePhone. ARM Linux in action!
- Prawnboy SG: Running Arch Phosh on Pinephone. I am glad that ArchLinuxARM comes with less apps preinstalled. Still, nice to see how well it performs if you really decide install everything you can think of.
- Privacy & Tech Tips: Pinephone Signal Messenger Clone: Axolotl- What Works + Screenshots. A follow up to last weeks video, sadly without video of Axolotl running.
- Tech Show MX: Manjaro ARM Beta 2 con Phosh en PinePhone. If you speak spanish, you are going to enjoy this one.
Manjaro PinePhone Unboxings
- Elatronion: Pinephone Manjaro Edition: The Perfect Phone for Nerds. This is a really nice video, watch it, even if you usually don't care about unboxings.
- Bitbooger: Unboxing the Pinephone Manjaro CE and checking out basic things.
- MTS: PinePhone64 smartphone - unboxing and first thoughts (aka Part 1).
- Terminal_Heat_Sink: Unboxing and First Look at PinePhone Manjaro Convergence Package Limited Edition Linux Smartphone.
Linux App Summit
- Umang Jain: Libcamera: Making complex cameras easy!, Slides. If you care about reducing camera complexity on Linux systems, you are going to like this.
- Dalton Durst: Brickless battery saving with Ubuntu Touch, blog post. Great talk by Dalton that really everyone who cares about Linux Phones should watch!
- Also check their YouTube channel many more videos on App Stream, Flatpak and Flutter that may be interesting.
Stuff I did
I made three videos:
- Manjaro Plasma Mobile on the PinePhone: Convergence (Dev build 201107): PeerTube, LBRY, YouTube. I am going to make a similar video with Plasma Mobile running on postmarketOS Edge next week.
- Sxmo: Simple X Mobile on PinePhone: PeerTube, LBRY, YouTube.
- slem.os: OpenSUSE on the PinePhone: PeerTube, LBRY, YouTube. Bad timing here, I will definitely follow up once more works.
Unfortunately, that was basically all I managed to do.