It's Wednesday. Now what happened since last Wednesday?
New sounds for Plasma Mobile, Phosh, Phoc, Ubuntu Touch, Manjaro and DanctNIX see new releases and more! Commentary in italics.
- Phoc 0.8.0 has been released, bringing a fix for idle inhibition and more. Read the full release notes for more.
- Phosh 0.12.1 has seen yet another release, containing mostly bug and translation fixes. Read the full release notes for more.
- Manjaro Phosh Beta 12 has been released.
- Danct12 has released Arch Linux ARM 2021/07/03, containing Phoc 0.8.0 and more nice new things.
- Ubuntu Touch OTA 18 is also out!.
- NxOS: Maui Monthly Report 13. Great stuff that's coming along here, a lot to look forward to! Strike and NX Software center sound really exciting.
- Plasma Mobile: Winners of the KDE and LMMS Plasma Mobile Sound Contest. Sounds nice!
- Purism: Purism and Linux 5.13. Mainlining keeps going quite well for the Librem 5!
- Janet Blackquill: Approximately Two Pink Weeks In Tok.
- Claudio Cambria: An eventful week — Kalendar week 5 (GSoC 2021).
- Visvesh Subramanian: A New Look for the Health app.
- Philip Withnall: Add metadata to your app to say what inputs and display sizes it supports. You may find this boring and think: Why this XML stuff? Because it matters. Specifying where an app will fit in metadata is an important step to better app stores for Linux Phones.
- PineGuild: Manjaro ARM Beta12 of Phosh for PinePhone.
- TuxPhones: Some Kobo e-readers can now run Linux, becoming inexpensive e-ink tablets. Great post!
- Linux Smartphones: Mycroft, an open source voice assistant works with Linux smartphones like the PinePhone. I have had Mycroft on PinePhone on my To Do list for months. Maybe I'll get to it one day.
- Linux Smartphones: Ubuntu Touch OTA 18 brings improved performance for older devices, among other updates. Brad's take on the above Ubuntu Touch announcement.
- Purism: Proud to Be Top Contributor to GTK4. Well, 0.3%. On the other hand, that's more than Canonical or Intel contributed so far.
- Wolf fur Programming: Plasma Mobile Oneplus 6t postmarketos. Nice!
- Martijn Braam: postmarketOS on the Kobo Clara HD. The comments are interesting, mentioning a software called InkBox for future software.
- Drew Naylor 2: RetiledStart demo #4: Landscape All Apps List. If you've been missing Windows Phone, this might excite you!
- kdlk.de: tech: PinePhone Essentials: Turning off the Hardware Switches - Camera Turn Off.
- kdlk.de: tech: PinePhone App Development - Where to start? #01 Rust + GTK. Really nice!
- Twinntech: Pinephone daily drive round 2. Admittedly, the title is not entirely fair. He's trying stuff again, and I hope it works. Also, you can see confirmation bias at work.
Stuff I did
Nothing. Well, we recorded another PineTalk, which will be out this weekend. I was going to publish a short post on Phosh's new app drawer feature tonight, but I just couldn't – too tired.
One thing I managed to actually finish, is a Flatpak manifest so that you can try accelerated video playback in Clapper without tainting your /usr/local.
LINMOBapps did not get much love again, but luckily Marco H. contributed one new app:
- Vakzination, a Kirigami app which manages your health certificates like vaccination, test, and recovery certificates.