It's Wednesday. Now what happened since last Wednesday?
postmarketOS 21.06, accelerated video playback with Clapper and more! Commentary in italics.
- postmarketOS 21.06 has been released, basing on Alpine 3.14 and supporting 4 additional (15 total) devices. It's awesome to see this progress.
- A few ARM specific PKGBUILD scripts have been removed from the AUR, as this Reddit thread points out. While this makes sense with Arch Linux ARM being a seperate project from Arch Linux, it's still sad and feels slightly unnecessary.
- If you want to check out accelerated video playback without messing up your systems
/usr/local, you can try building the Flatpak of livi/µPlayer.
- Dalton Durst: The Endless Conundrum of creating a secure PinePhone . Yes, this is technically to old to be included, but it's definitely worth reading. Dalton not only is a very nice guy, he also knows what he's talking about here: There are trade-offs that go along with verified boot, making it not too desirable.
- Jozef Mlich: Advances of Nemomobile in July/2021.
- Alejandro Domínguez: Small progress update of my 2021’s GSoC with Fractal-next.
- Georges Stavracas: Dark & light style selector in To Do. I hope that they will work on mobile compatibility, too. GNOME To Do 40.1 almost fits the screen, the lists feature does not work right with Squeekboard — it's so close!
- Claudio Cambra: Editing and deleting mistakes… and events too — Kalendar week 4 (GSoC 2021).
- Brian Daniels: Hardware Accelerated Video Decoding on the PinePhone with Clapper. Last week we had an initial hack, now there's a nice, existing app adopting this. Awesome!
- Linux Smartphones: Hardware accelerated video playback now possible on the PinePhon. Brad's take!
- Carl Schwan: KDE Documentation & New Job at Nextcloud. I wish him all the best (and selfishly hope he still finds time for his Plasma (Mobile) apps)!
- Linux Smartphones: Volla Phone X rugged phone is available for pre-order with Ubuntu Touch or Android. It's basically the same as the previous Volla Phone, but more rugged and with an even larger battery.
- Pinetalk 012: Privacy and Security with RTP. Have fun listening! Aside from the title, we discuss recent community news and questions that revolve around future PINE64 devices we would like to see.
Ubuntu Touch corner
- UBports: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 103. Dalton and Alfred again, this time discussing 20.04 (Focal Fossa) progress, initial Open-Store support, clickable progress. Alfred build something called UBports PDK to have a better time building software for Ubuntu Touch, which runs amazingly fast on an Apple M1 system. Questions revolve around Rust, AGPS, Morph Browser and security.
- Digital Wandering: Ubuntu Touch - Choosing a Device (part 2) - featuring the Nexus 5, Pixel 2, and Pixel 3a.
- AdhesionTek: Ubuntu Touch Hands-On: Your phone is your PC, or is it?. Ugh. I was debating whether I should include this, as it's one more video not understanding while not having 'apt' outside of the Libertine container is a good idea, and it's one more video that thinks dumping on community projects and comparing them to trillion-dollar-company-products would be at all a fair thing to do.
- JingOS: JingPad Project Monthly Report | June 2021, JingPad Keyboard EVT, JingOS ARM Alpha, Android ROM....
- RTP: Pinephone: Improve Photos With This GIMP. Yes, GIMP on the PinePhone!
- RTP: USB Key + Password LUKS Required Scripts (For Linux Phones and Devices).
- Сергей Чуплыгин: Nemomobile keyboard trackpoint. Neat!
- PizzaLovingNerd: I installed Minecraft on a PinePhone. Spoiler: It's complicated, but not impossible.
- Brian Daniels: Hardware Video Decoding on the PinePhone with Clapper. Same video as last week, but now with Clapper instead of gst-playbin-1.0. Awesome!
- Raspberry Pi Projects and More: A Raspberry Pi in the Form of a Phone! (Kind of) - PinePhone Setup Guide! Nice guide!
Stuff I did
I wrote a blog post on GNU/Linux on Tablets: Hardware.
Stuff I did
Nothing. Well, PineTalk ;-)
LINMOBapps did not get any love this week. No new apps were added.