It's Wednesday. Now what happened since last Wednesday?
Phosh 0.12.0, accelerated video playback on PinePhone, Nemo Mobile keyboard progress and more! Commentary in italics.
- My GNU Health has seen its 1.0 release.
- gtk-rs has seen a new release, and now has a logo and a website. It's not just any release, as gtk-rs now provides Rust with GTK4 bindings.
- Phosh 0.12.0 has been released. Now, the proximity sensor will only be enabled during calls (gamers will appreciate this), only adaptive apps will be shown in mobile mode, and more - make sure to read the full release notes.
- DanctNIX Arch Linux ARM has seen another release, bringing all the latest software!
Video deconding extravaganza
- Brian Daniels: Hardware Accelerated Video Decoding on the PinePhone. This is really impressive! I've actually followed Brian's post to see how well this works, and his measurements check out. I really hope that gstreamer 1.20 is going to land soon and that distributions and app developers manage to make the accelerated video available to us all as soon as possible.
Software progress reports
- Jonah Brüchert: AudioTube nightly builds available. AudioTube enthusiasts rejoice!
- Janet Blackquill: An Unspecified Amount Of Time In Tok. Further progress for our favourite Kirigami Telegram client!
- Luis Falcon: Welcome to MyGNUHealth, the Libre Personal Health Record. This project is just amazing!
- KDE neon Developers' Blog: Neon: Maliit Keyboard Now Available on Wayland. This might be interesting for tablet users.
- Claudio Cambra: Figuring out recurrence (and bugs…) in Kalendar’s week 3 (GSoC 2021). I still have not managed to build and run Kalendar on my PinePhone. I really should.
- Kai A. Hiller: Search Bar of Doom. This is about Fractal Next.
- Sophie's Blog: New gtk-rs release and more.
- Purism: Librem Themes. Sadly, the Phosh Look app needs to be adjusted as it assumes a certain username.
PinePhone hardware keyboard news
- xnux.eu log: Pinephone keyboard's final summary. It's final!
LinuxSmartphones: News Roundup: Hardware-accelerated video on the PinePhone, themes on the Librem 5. Brad's take on recent events. :-)
- Chris Titus Tech: Volla Phone | Using Linux Phone instead of Android or Apple. If you were looking for an English language video about the Volla Phone, here you go! (BTW, here's a notch fix.
Video playback demoed on video
- Brian Daniels: Hardware Accelerated Video Decoding on the PinePhone. This is the amazing accelerated video playback from the post above!
- ARustig View: GPS Apps on Sailfish OS 188.8.131.52. This is really short, but if you ever wondered what Pure Maps looks like on current Sailfish OS, now you know!
Nemo Mobile awesomeness
- Сергей Чуплыгин: some progress with nemomobile keyboard. Yes, this does not look super finished, but let's just appreciate the progress that is happening around Nemo Mobile!
DIY handheld corner
Stuff I did
I wrote a blog post on GNU/Linux on Tablets: Hardware. If you want a Linux tablet, make sure to read it and feel free to get in touch if you have questions or feedback.
Stuff I did
I wrote a blog post on GNU/Linux on Tablets: Hardware. I hope to continue this series soon, but can't give any ETA, as I will have to test and thus use more software for this; or at least sit down and write something meaningful about the Lenovo Chromebook Duet.
I reworked a few aspects of this site so that it now passes the validator. Further work fixed some issues with my Atom feed I noticed in my Miniflux instance. Also I made those "Hindsight" notes I wrote while going through my old blog posts visible. You gotta catch them all! ;-)
LINMOBapps did not get much love this week, again. I only managed to add two apps:
- LinMoTube, YouTube Client for Linux Mobile (Python and WxWidgets, if you like try it, make sure to leave feedback),
- Phosh Look, Phosh look manages ~/.config/gtk-3.0 with preset themes.