It's Wednesday. Now what happened since last Wednesday?
A new NemoMobile image, 300 booting devices and a backup tool for postmarketOS and more! Commentary in italics.
- Jozef Mlich: Own Nemomobile image. I really find Jozef's progress reports quite inspiring.
- Claudio Cambria: Week 2 on Kalendar (GSoC 2021). Nice progress! I'll need try that "Add event" dialogue on a phone, though.
- Visvesh's blog: An Update on my GSoC project. Visvesh is working on Health.
- Linux Smartphones: Purism shows off new features coming to PureOS for the Librem 5 smartphone (camera software, wireless toggles, screen rotation and more). This is Brad's take on the Purism blog post we had in the last installment.
Linux Phone Deatchmatch ;-)
- ThatGeoGuy: Librem 5 Evergreen vs. Pinephone (Part 2 of ???). An interesting second part, check out the HN comment thread, too.
PinePhone keyboard corner
- xnux.eu/log: Pinephone keyboard's firmware I2C interface. Great post by Megi!
- PineTalk 011: Lounging with Linux Lounge. Ezra interviews Linux Lounge, a Linux-centric content creator, and we discuss the PINE64 June Community Update. Also we answer a question regarding "suitable beginner software projects", which might be interesting.
Ubuntu Touch avenue
- UBports: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 102. It's Dalton and Alfred again, talking about Ubuntu Touch progress. Also, Dalton tells a story about the nightmares he endured on Android that led him to end up on and stick with Ubuntu Touch.
- Low Orbit Flux: PinePhone – Linux Smart Phone Ubuntu Touch Install Test FINAL, Long, but with music.
- anino207: Ubuntu Touch Tablet Experience - Lomiri. Awesome explainer of Ubuntu Touch on tablets!
- CyberPunked: Ubuntu Touch - OnePlus 5 / Cheeseburger (2021-06-18).
- Martijn Braam: postmarketOS Backups 0.2.0. This app works with apk, the Alpine package manager, so it's really focussed on postmarketOS, but it's still awesome to see some new developments in this area.
- Geotechland: Foliate Linux Ebook Viewer Review. Included because it also works on the PinePhone.
- kdlk.de: tech: PinePhone Essentials: Install a PinePhone OS on a SD-Card. The umpteenth video on using Balena Etcher! Just in case anyone cares: You could also use GNOME Disks or USBimager for this.
- Caleb Connolly: postmarketOS and Linux Mainline on the OnePlus 6: Debugging kernel driver probing for 5.13,
- Alexander Stetyukha: Pinephone смартфон для любителей GNU/Linux (обзор). This video is a demo of Megi's latest p-boot-demo image and also of GloDroid and the automatically translated subtitles are fun to read.
Stuff I did
None, sorry. Busy times :( I have started writing something though, so there's hope for some content later this week.
LINMOBapps did not get much love this week, either. I have added a few apps:
- Gnote, a Tomboy inspired notes app, that scales well (reviewed release 40.1), only the settings menu does not fit the screen properly. But: Opening notes is tedious and requires the use of the enter key on the software keyboard,
- postmarketOS Backup, a backup application that integrates with apk to quickly backup and restore your system state in postmarketOS and
- Pinephone Compass, a proof of concept of a simple compass app for the Pine64 Pinephone.