Really, not much happened. But that does not mean that we don't have a nice collection of blog posts, podcasts and videos this weeks. Highlights include a post about the Librem 5 camera, which explains how it can be used and how it got to where it is, a nice guide for writing QML apps with Python, and a video tutorial that explains moving GPG private keys securely, so that you can use your key on your PinePhone.
Commentary in italics.
In an earlier iteration of this I joked that it would be so funny if my Librem 5 1600 days after ordering – and this week I finally received the mail to confirm my address; and later another one that it's likely going to be shipped in the coming two weeks. This is great! I am looking forward to having a second Librem 5 to test (and maybe showcase) distros side-by-side. It's also bad, because it means that I will need to write one or more articles about the device – I promised this years ago.
While writing itself is not necessarily bad, it certainly takes time (and should not be done hastily, as I may have learned again this week (see below)). And time is so scarce, especially now, as I am finally making progress on a road that should lead towards a LinuxPhoneApps.org launch: Fixing LINMOBapps performance was always a major goal.
Hoping that the next mention of that project will be a link to a post on the LinuxPhoneApps.org website, I conclude this editorial with a plea for peace: May the world be as peaceful and boring as these weeks Mobile Linux news are!
- Phoronix: Imagination Tech Publishes Open-Source PowerVR Vulkan Driver For Mesa. This is good news going forward.
- This Week in GNOME: #33 Fabulous Screenshots.
- Phoronix: Cairo Graphics Library Drops Many Old Backends.
- Decrypted Mind: January/February in KDE PIM.
- Phoronix: Commercial-Only Qt 5.15.3 LTS Now Released As Open-Source. Late is better than never, I guess.
- KDAB: CXX-Qt: Safe Rust Bindings for Qt.
- Qt: QML Type Compilation: that new Qt Quick Compiler part you have not heard much about.
- Manjaro ARM with Phosh Beta 23 has been released. All the new stuff. Meanwhile, Plasma Mobile 5.24 landed in Manjaro ARM stable for PinePhone with Plasma Mobile this week, suggesting that another beta release might be imminent.
- Genode: Sculpt OS meets the Pinephone
- Talpa: Who Needs a Battery?. Fun project!
Minimal PinePhone settings
- Hamblinggreen: My Pinephone Setup: Why I went minimal. Great first post!
Status of the Librem 5 Camera
- Sebastian Krzyszkowiak for Purism: Librem 5 Photo Processing Tutorial. Great post about how the Librem 5 camera works. In case you were wondering: Yes, it works quite well these days if you take the time to adjust the sliders to your situation.
- Dimitris: Linux applications with Python and QML. Nice guide!
Linux Phone comparisons
- Linux Stans: Best Linux Phone: All Options Compared. I like round-ups and recognize that they are a lot of work. Please take parts of this with a grain of salt: Not only is it lacking the PinePhone Pro, the claims about FairPhone 4 Linux support seem a bit optimistic or early and Ubuntu Touch support for the Cosmo Communicator is also not that great.
Anbox in the Cloud
- Liliputing: Canonical and Vodafone Cloud Smartphone streams Android apps and games to basic phones. I don't really know for what this is good for, but hey :) I hope that Anbox Cloud is further along than Android 7.
Inflation and other price increases
- Liliputing: Purism’s Librem 5 Linux smartphone costs $1299 after the latest price hike. Tough pricing.
PinePhone Modem Upgrading
- LINMOB: Easily upgrading the PinePhone (Pro) Modem Firmware. _I finally managed to the first post this year that's not a Weekly Update. I am not to happy with it though, and will attempt to polish and extend it over the weekend. I don't think changing the opening is a good thing to do, which is quite sad, as it has already been subject of what I would call mis-interpretation.
postmarketOS podcast: #15 INTERVIEW: Miles Alan (of Sxmo, fbp, Mepo Fame). Great episode!
Full Circle: Weekly News #250. Nice weekly news podcast, this week with Ubuntu Touch OTA 22, and a new webOS OSE platform release.
nephitejnf: [Why Does Data Not Work on my Pinephone Anymore?](https://odysee.com/@nephitejnf:6/ATTPinephone:a9. This is actually a video, but it's one with a still image. Topic: AT&T being terrible ans what could be done to make this work with the PinePhone.
PinePhone Pro Unboxings
- Bitter Epic Skits: PinePhone Pro UNBOXING! My first Linux phone!. This one genuinely made me laugh!
GPG How To
- (RTP) Privacy & Tech Tips: 🔐 Securely Transfer + Encrypt Files + PGP 🔑 Key Backups. Well done!
Ubuntu Touch on Tablets
- Massimo Antonio Carofano: JingPad A1 con Ubuntu Touch.
Missed earlier: Linux Gaming
- Heasterian: Linux desktop games running on Poco F1.
- Data Portability and Services Incubator: Maemo Leste project presentation at DAPSI Final Event #2.
Ubuntu Touch on the OnePlus One
- Steven Jobs: Ubuntu touch cannot display wirelessly，unknown reasons.
- Vitaly Zdanevich: Ubuntu Touch on OnePlus One.
- NOT A FBI Honey pot: running Kali Linux on the pinephone for mobile hacking....
- Grad Techie: First appearance of Ubuntu Touch on Astro Slide 5G #AstroSlide5G #showstoppersmwc #MWC22. Nice slideshow.
- Purism: Real Convergence Between Your Computers with PureOS. We've asked a 100 people about what makes a desktop computing experience a desktop computing experience and 95% answered that resizing windows is the key to a real desktop experience.
If your projects' cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please get in touch via social media or email!