Also, more and more apps get ported to GTK4/libadwaita, Phosh 0.20 beta 3, KDE progress and more._
Commentary in italics.
- This Week in GNOME: #54 More Portings. So much GTK4/libadwaita!
- DEV Community: GSoC mid term report for Health.
- Berlin Mini GUADEC 2022 reports: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Sounds like it was a great get-together!
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: Lots of work on Discover. Nice progress!
- Volker Krause: June/July in KDE Itinerary. Dito.
- KDE Eco: Measurement Lab Follow-Up: Sprint Achievements And To-dos - KDE Eco. Nice and measured.
- frinring: KF5’s big ramp of deprecations to KF6. Future!
- Phoronix: Linux 5.20 To Support The Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen3, ThinkPad X13s Arm Laptop. Moar chips!
- Phoronix: Linux 5.20 Likely To Be Called Linux 6.0. Bigger number!
- Release Arch Linux ARM - 2022/07/29 · dreemurrs-embedded/Pine64-Arch · GitHub. New DanctNIX images!
- Guido Günther: "phosh 0.20.0~beta3 is out 🚀📱 : It fixes many b…" - Librem Social
- Chris: "vvmd version 0.10 is out! https://gitlab.com/kop…" - Fosstodon
- Guido Günther: "Improved #phosh's screenshot support a bit so it …" - Librem Social
PINE64 Community Update
- PINE64: July Update: A Pinecil Evolved. No PinePhone news, but don't miss reading the section about the Star64 SBC:
"The initial review has yielded some very positive results, partly because the SoC runs cool without the need for passive or active heat dissipation, even under load. The SoC running cool without a heatsink is great news, as it opens the door for the platform to become a basis for future devices."
StarPhone when? More seriously and totally apart from potential future news in devices, I am quite glad that PINE64 went with StarFive, a well known and decent manufacturer in the RISC-V space (and not AllWinner or worse).
- TuxPhones: The Pine Formula. I also scratched my head when I read that PinePod would be based on the same chip as the wireless earbuds. I get that embedded development may be fun; but is it sustainable on chips that are so limited?
- postmarketOS: Considering SourceHut. I don't have a lot of opinions on this; but I really hope that SourceHut add some more lean WebUI for MRs before this happens. While git-send-email is a workflow used by popular and large projects, it's not exactly beginner friendly.
- Purism: The Ball and Supply Chain Part 2.
Something to keep in mind
- postmarketOS podcast // #20 Considering SourceHut Special. Great episode!
Ubuntu Touch Q&A
- UBports: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 120. They wanted to do a Q&A, so they did!
- Arbitrary Tech: Pinephone Usability Review Q3 2022 I bet it's ... 5:21. Also: Don't read the comments.
- Linux Rambling productions: Some of my thoughts on the pinephone.
- agisga: Org-Roam on PinePhone (postmarketOS Linux, SXMO, Emacs 28.1). Nice!
If your project's cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please get in touch via social media or email!