Not too much to highlight this week, but there are some nice podcasts to listen too and some videos to watch!
Commentary in italics.
- Caleb made some progress with regard to Google Pixel 3. Be kind and don't pester your hardware-enabling developers when things are just booting!
- This Week in GNOME: #51 About New Apps.
- Marco Melorio: GSoC update #2 – Bouncing cards. Nice progress for Fractal!
- Squeekboard has seen a minor release, updating a few translations and layouts.
- Initial Alphas of GNOME Shell and Mutter have been released.
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: big things. Nice progress!
- Felipe Kinoshita: My week in KDE: Licenses.
- Carl Schwan: KDE PIM in May and June.
- KDE Announcements: KDE Ships Frameworks 5.96.0.
- UBports: UBports Training Update 5 aka 0101: Found a way to push data from the phone to the WebViewer!.
- Phoronix: wxWidgets 3.2 Released After 15k+ Commits, HiDPI, Initial Wayland Support. HiDPI, Wayland - sounds like wxWidgets is now more suitable for phone apps!
- Phoronix: MSM DRM Driver Adds Adreno 619 Support With Linux 5.20.
- Phoronix: Mesa 22.2 Pushed Back By Two Weeks To Let More Features Land.
- The Popcorn Computer Pocket PC is now in production.
- The PINE64 EU Store launched (after some delays due to excessive red tape). Pricing may seem high, but I'd argue it's not: The speed of shipping and a two years warranty (instead of 30 days) are valuable, and there are some operational costs, consider storage and logistics operation alone. Plus, there's stuff like compliance with common market standards (e.g. a charge for recycling batteries). If I were to get another PINE64 device, I'll gladly pay extra for convenience. If you think differently: Ordering on PINE64.com is still possible for EU customers.
SIP Calling on GNOME and Phosh
- Evangelos Ribeiro Tzaras for Purism: Voice over IP in GNOME Calls Part 1: SIP Protocol and Libraries.
- LinuxPhoneApps.org: New apps of LinuxPhoneApps.org, Q2/2022 🎉. No news for those who follow LPA closely like I do ;-).
- PINE64: PineTalk Season 2, Episode 9: Gaming on Pine64 is a Thing. Nice episode!
- Linux After Dark: Episode 21. Glad I went with Neon and not Kubuntu for my Surface Go 2 experiments!
- postmarketOS Podcast: #19 apk fix, qbootctl, Phosh 0.20, iPhones and more Apples.1 Another great episode!
- Avisando: PinePhone - Manjaro Phosh (0.20): What's new?. Please note: The new App Drawer is not going to ship with 0.20.0, same for the multitasking view - Manjaro included a few unmerge feature Merge Requests (i.e. drafts) on top of the 0.20.0 beta.
GNOME App Improvements
- Geotechland: GNOME 42 Mobile Apps On Pinephone. Nice progress!
- baby WOGUE: An adaptive sidebar for Files, Ft GNOME 43 & ..Ubuntu.
- baby WOGUE: A view on Loupe, the upcoming Image Viewer of GNOME
Reviving hardware with postmarketOS and Ubuntu Touch
- Mumbling Hugo: Linux on Android: can old dog pick up new tricks?.
- Supositware: Minecraft java 1.16.5 on the OG PinePhone. Pushing AllWinner A64 to its limits!
If your project's cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please get in touch via social media or email!
PS: In case you are wondering about the title ...
Since I originally had forgotten to include this on publication last week, it's in here again for the early readers!