Weekly #LinuxPhone Update (17/2022): Plasma Mobile Gear 22.04, Nemo Mobile 0.9 and Phosh gesture support is inching closer!
Table of Contents
It's saturday, Linux App Summit is taking place. There's some bad news regarding open modem firmware and I am writing this in a train slowly but surely taking me to the sea for some time off.
Commentary in italics.
While this weekly update is late, expect the next one two be even later - it may be as late as the evening of Monday, May 9th. Why? Well, I am taking some time off. No social media, no posts here. This also means that progress at LinuxPhoneApps.org will halt to a crawl - I may merge MRs, but that's it. A break is best taken full after all!
- Gestures in Phosh are getting closer!
- This Week in GNOME: #41 Italian Gestures
- chergert: Builder GTK 4 Porting, Continued.
- Ergaster: Adopting Matrix at the GNOME Foundation.
- Federico: Paying technical debt in our accessibility infrastructure. You may think that this is boring, but it is really important. Free Software should be there for everybody!
- Plasma Mobile: Plasma Mobile Gear 22.04 is Out. Nice improvements! I've tried DanctNIX Plasma Mobile on my PinePhone this week, and boy is it smooth and stable these days, even on OG PinePhone!
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: Porting everything to QtQuick.
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: Major accent color and Global Theme improvements.
- MauiKit.org: Maui Report 18. Looking good!
- Jozef Mlích: Nemomobile in April/2022. Another great progress report!
- Nemo Mobile have published new images. According to the announcing tweet, the next round of images is going to be 1.0!
- If you have a CutiePi tablet, Nemo Mobile images are available for you, too! TuxPhones have tried it, looking good!
- hughsie: fwupd 1.8.0 and 50 million updates.
- Speeking of Firmware, Dylan van Assche alerted me about the fact that Quectel is working on Secure Boot for their modems to lock them down, likely rendering the installation of Biktorgj's firmware impossible going forward.
- Phoronix: Panfrost Lands Valhall Driver Code For Mesa 22.2.
- Phoronix: Mesa Can Now Be Built With Select Video Codecs Disabled For Software Patent Concerns.
Jason123Santa: Review of Delta Chat messenger. Nice post! See also: 1, 2.
Purism: Improving the Stability and Reliability with a Modular Modem in the Librem 5
Phosh and Apps
- Bitter Epic Productions: The Apps of Phosh on my PinePhone Pro. Do they work?. Nice walkthrough!
PinePhone Pro Gaming
- Tiziano Bacocco: Amnesia the Dark descent running on pinephone pro.
PinePhone running Wine
- Ivon Huang: PinePhone執行Windows程式exe (Box86 + Wine).
- Leszek Lesner: Volla Phone with Ubuntu Touch after 2 years.
- Tech with Jowe: Sailfish OS Review | Is This The Linux Phone For You?.
- The Trash Can 👍: Timelapse Art with GNOME Draw on Pinephone - Some Kinda Farm. Nice :)
Linux App Summit
- Julian Sparber: Fractal-next: The journey of rewriting a GTK Matrix client. There's more in this Day 1 stream that may be of interest, check the timetable. The day 2 stream is here.
- Avenitson: Pinephone unboxing
If your projects' cool story (or your awesome video or nifty blog post or ...) is missing and you don't want that to happen again, please get in touch via social media or email!