LinBits 26: Weekly Linux Phone news / media roundup (week 53)
Table of Contents
It's sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
A quiet week: Conference talks, Maemo Leste Update, App Showcases and more! Commentary in italics.
Software development and releases
- Cawbird v1.3 and 1.3.1 have been released, working a lot better on the PinePhone.
- TuxPhones: Running Linux on your smartphone: everything you need to know in 2021. Great post by Raffaele, don't know how I missed it for last LinBits!
- Guido Günther: phosh overview. Who better to write a overview of Phosh?
- Maemo Leste: Fourteenth Update (July, August, September, October, November, December) 2020. Great update blog post by the Maemo Leste project.
- dimitris.cc: Calindori and online calendars. Nice workaround to get sync working for Calindori. This makes the PinePhone one step closer to being a daily driver.
- Pixls.us: G’MIC experiments on Manjaro ARM Pinephone. If you want to play more with your camera, this should be worth a read.
- Purism App Showcase:
- Backups Unfortunately, upstream Déjà Dup is not yet mobile compliant (Purism branched it), so this won't work on every distribution yet.
- /u/bloggerdan: Pinephone as a daily driver? A Week with Mobian: Day 1, Day 2, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Day 7. Interesting series!
- Linux Lounge: Taking Photos on the PinePhone - PinePhone Camera Review
- Gardiner Bryant: The libhandy INFECTION?. A video about the Solus libhandy controversy. I like how nuanced Gardiner goes through this.
- HackersGame: The System Admin's Multi-tool. Nice video about fun use cases for the Librem 5 or also the PinePhone.
- /u/redwisdomlight: Librem 5 encounters part 13 initial success then turns into a failure 😞
- Cathal Mc Daid: Watching the Watchers - How Surveillance Companies track you using Mobile Networks .
- jn: Porting Linux to your favorite obscure Arm SoC. This does not play for me, I hope that we're going to see a recording (not relive) eventually.
- jiska, Gerbert and Matthias: Very Pwnable Network (VPN). Beware of closed source VPN client software!
What I forgot last year:
- OpenAlt: Martin Botka, AngeloGioacchino Del Regno, Konrad Dybcio: Qualcomm SoC upstreaming adventures in 2020. I somehow missed this. The talk is a bit long, but it's worth it.
Stuff I did
I have uploaded one new video about installing the PinePhone from the PinePhone. Yes, it can be your only computer.
- PeerTube: PinePhone: Flashing the PinePhone from the PinePhone
- LBRY: PinePhone: Flashing the PinePhone from the PinePhone
- YouTube: PinePhone: Flashing the PinePhone from the PinePhone
Also, I finally did something with that old, broken Psion Series 5: PinePhone QWERTY the stupid way.
I finally went ahead and reinstalled my ArchLinuxARM/DanctNIX mobile install. I backed up with Deja-Dup (after scale-to-fit) and was able to successfully restore that backup once I connected to my Lap Dock, as I was unable to choose individual files to be restored with just the touchscreen (there's a "mobilized" version of Deja-Dup by Purism, but no easy way to run it on Arch). I am going to write a blog post about my setup this week.
Not much happened here, just a few additions and some maintenance. Please do contribute!