It's sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
Manjaro Lomiri Alpha 1, GloDroid 0.4.0, more camera improvements and a ton of videos. Commentary in italics.
Software releases and improvements
- GloDroid 0.4.0. The Android port is progressing. They have also released an early build of Android 11, and bauner in the Pine64 forums is working on enabling GSM and GPS.
- megapixels has seen a lot of progress and now has a really fast viewfinder, takes pictures at 5 megapixels, rendering the PinePhone back camera a lot more usable. The front camera also works in postmarketOS now, but it is very dim currently and only usable in daylight.
- Manjaro Lomiri Alpha 1 has been released. I have made a little video demoing the release. 1
Other Hardware 1
- bunnie:studios, run by the famous bunny who created awesome hardware like the open source Novena laptop, have announced a new handheld device. It's called "Precursor" and is going to be sold on Crowdsupply. If you are looking for a faster device than the PinePhone, this FPGA-based device likely is not for you. But it should be more secure.
- CNX-Software: Pinephone Multiboot Image Boots 13 Different Linux Distributions. This image is really something. I managed to break it though...
- Pine64: September Update: Let it sink in…. _
- Purism: Adventures of porting postmarketOS to the Librem 5. A great read!
- Koen Vervloesem: Exploring the PinePhone with the multi-distro demo image. This is a little review of Megi's p_boot image, which takes a very different perspective than I would have taken: E.g. I like it when there is not too much software pre-installed, because I know how to install software on pretty much every one of these distros. PSA: Don't report bugs experienced with this image to the respective distro maintainers, as this image uses a very different kernel. Also: Screenshots on Phosh based distros can be created via a little command line utilty called 'grim'. 1
- Matthew Higgins: Running OpenSUSE Linux on the Pinephone (Braveheart). I still did not try OpenSUSE myself, but it does not seem to bad.
- Howto: Digital Privacy & Infosec: Pinephone (Mobian Linux) Video/Audio Proof Phone Calls Do Work Both Incoming/Outgoing. This video may seem strange, but maybe it helps some people believing me that this stuff is incredibly hard to demo while maintaining privacy.
- Howto: Digital Privacy & Infosec: Pinephone Mobian Inkscape + Camera + Firefox, Gpodder, SMS/Phone/Cell Data/Wifi/Hotspot All Working
- sadwesv: Accelerated video decoding on Pinephone using gstreamer 0.18 and cedrus, Pinephone playing 1440p h264 encoded video to external display, Pinephone: 1080p@60 video playback scaled to 1440p@60 display. Megi published a couple of video showing promising progress with regard to video acceleration on the PinePhone. Looks great!
- Josh Moore: Pine64 PinePhone: Linux Users Remain a Persecuted Minority (For Now). The video title is weird, this is just a negative review.
- HomebrewXS: How to install Android 11 on PinePhone
- HomebrewXS: Android 11 on PinePhone, customizing and installing apps
- Purism: Anbox on the Librem 5. This is a great demo of Anbox, not showing all the pain I showed in my videos. Please note that they are usinghttps://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-alpha1-with-lomiri-pinephone/26454 virtboard here, which is a terrible method of text input even on the slightly larger PinePhone.
Dev streaming corner
- Marius Gripsgård: Hacking on Lomiri: Overview. A longer stream for people who want to help the development of Lomiri (a.k.a. Unity 8)
- Bits inside by René Rebe: t2 ARM64 Linux on a Pine64 Pinephone.
- Doctor Cranium: Quake on Pinephone
- Iron Oxidizer: PinePhone playing Super Mario 64 natively at 30fps
- Danct12: Undertale on the PinePhone
- Rob Braxman Tech: Privacy. That's LinuxPhone. True? False?
Stuff I did
- I finally migrated my blog over to different hosting. It still uses Jekyll, but should be GDPR compliant now. Sadly, this will negatively impact my GitHub activity statistics. ;-)
- On friday I received my postmarketOS CE convergence package PinePhone and made an unboxing video.
- I tried to build some more software. Social took long to build, but I could not authorize it to use it with my Mastodon account. Also, I build GNOME Maps 3.38, which works a lot better on the PinePhone than the previous version. What's notable: The new PinePhone ran a lot cooler than my UBports CE while building these apps.
The link to my Lomiri video, the Other Hardware section and last Worth Reading link were added after initial publication on Monday, September 21st at 8:14 AM CEST.