I really hope I can make this a recurring thing.
This is some the best stuff that happened around the PinePhone this week. Commentary in italics.
Software: releases and improvements
- Phosh 0.4.0 Release. Already in Mobian, this release brings a really neat feature: You can now automatically scale apps that are otherwise to big using the command
scale-to-fit <APP-ID> on, e.g.
scale-to-fit gnome-calendar on. Edit 5th July 2020: Apparently,
scale-to-fitis not in every distro automatically with the 0.4.0 release, as it is not in postmarketOS at the time of writing this remark.
- GloDroid 0.3.0 pre-Release. I am curious whether this is better than the previous release.
- UBports Camera might work soon. Please don‘t expect premium smartphone photography.
- Manjaro ARM Alpha1 of Phosh for PinePhone and PineTab!. After putting out five Alpha releases of Manjaro featuring Plasma Mobile, Manjaro now release a Phosh based image. BTW: A couple of days earlier, a new ArchLinux ARM image was released, too.
- AVMultiPhone claims 20 hours battery life on PinePhone (german, linuxnews.de). AVMultiPhone is a postmarketOS-based distribution which looks more like your average desktop than a mobile OS. I could not get myself to try it yet, but that battery life sounds tempting. In a recent blog post, the creator sets out a 500 Euro bounty for getting the "wake up on phone call while in deep sleep" to work.
- Non-static Pinephone Review — roiredideas.
This seems to be the only sensible way to review it right now. There is so much software and so much progress on so many ends, that it is just impossible to reach anything close to a verdict.
My experience with PureOS differs, but every project puts out a wonky image once in a while. Also: If you want a dark theme on Phosh-based distributions,
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme “Adwaita-dark”is your friend.
- Install #openSUSE on a #Pinephone device — victorhckinthefreeworld.com. Interesting interview, even if you don't really care about openSUSE.
- HackersGame: PinePhone Images on the Librem 5
- Pine64: PinePhone disassembly and reassembly
- PizzaLovingNerd: ICE SSBs on the PinePhone. Webapps on the PinePhone, nice!
Stuff I did
- I mostly used Mobian:
- I listened to a Podcast in the Gnome Podcasts app,
- I managed to install
gnome-passwordsafefrom flathub, and got signed in to Nextcloud using Gnome Accounts, ticking two boxes on my "daily driver" check list,
- I installed
nhekoto find out that the
squeekboardkeyboard does not work with it and then logged in to
fractalto have non-encrypted Matrix.