This week in Linux Phones: Android 12 coming to PinePhone, NemoMobile 0.7, Ubuntu Touch OTA 20, postmarketOS on the Pocket P.C., and more!
- Ubuntu Touch OTA-20 Release.
- Danct12 has released new builds of his Arch Linux ARM based distribution, including a build for the PinePhone Pro, bringing all the software up to the latest version.
- NemoMobile have released a new image, dubbed 0.7. While it's not ready for daily use yet, they've made major progress! Do support them!
- GloDroid v. 0.7.0 brings Android 12 to the PinePhone!
- Martijn Braam has brought postmarketOS with Phosh to the Pocket P.C., and also Plasma Mobile and GNOME 41.
- This Week in GNOME: #19 Updated Calculations.
- tchx84: Flatseal 1.7.5. Nice update!
- Janet Blackquill: Porting Tok To Not Linux: The Journey Of Incessant Failure. Not about mobile Linux specifically, but still fun.
- GabMus: Gtk4, LibAdwaita and the new Feeds. Great app, great post!
- Phoronix: Box86 + Box64 Updated For Running Linux x86/x86_64 Programs On Other Architectures. While Box* is something you only really need for proprietary stuff, it's awesome to see it making progress.
- Phoronix: Alpine Linux 3.15 Released - Builds Off Linux 5.15, Drops MIPS64, SimpleDRM For FB. Why is this relevant? Well, the next postmarketOS stable is going to be based in this!
- itfoss: Distribution kit for mobile phones NemoMobile 0.7 Released.
Librem 5 Corner
- Purism: True Convergence is Here: PureOS 10 is Released for all Librem Products.
- Liliputing: Purism’s Librem 5 Linux smartphone costs $1199 after the latest price hike. While I get this from a accrued costs perspective, it surely won't help with sales.
PinePhone Pro Development
- xnux.eu log: Pinephone Pro LCD panel.
- xnux.eu log: Pinephone Pro – audio and modem power up support. Nice progress reports by Megi!
Hardware: RISC-V on Phones and Tiny Intel Convertibles
- TuxPhones: The world's first RISC-V phone might be just behind the corner. I don't want to be negative, but I doubt this RISC-V phone is something you are actually going to want to use if you're not totally psyched by everything RISC-V.
- Liliputing: Running Linux on the GPD Pocket 3 mini-laptop.
- Samuel Norbury: A usability hack for convergent devices. This is something I thought about for a long time, and Samuel just did it. Awesome!
- Neil Brown: Installing Mobian with full disk encryption on PinePhone.
- Han Young: Cross Compile to PinePhone with Clang. Great tutorial!
Ethical Tech Giving
- Tux Phones: Freedom and phone advice. Great post by Martijn!
- PEBKAC: PEBKAC S01E04 Mid November Updates! Well done, and thanks for the mention! (I felt that I got nothing done lately, this nugded me to revisit that assumption).1
- PineTalk: S2E03: PineTalk - Performance, UIs, the Keyboard, Oh My! Come for the news, stay for a great discussion! I love how Brian and Justin are doing this now!
- postmarketOS Cast: #11 INTERVIEW: kop316 (of mmsd-tng Fame). Great interview!
- Avisando: PinePhone "Desktop Mode" Manjaro Phosh (2021). I love that voice!
Ubuntu Touch Corner
- UBports: OTA-20 Released | Ubuntu Touch Q&A 112. After taking a break, Dalton and Marius are back to talk about OTA 20, Clickable 7 (the tool to build Ubuntu Touch apps), new apps, 20.04 progress, how they need help with device support and more.
- Review for Nerds: One Month using a Linux SmartPhone.
Android 12 on PinePhone
- Niccolò Ve: I Brought The JingPad To Venice! And The PineBook as well! Oh, right, my girlfriend too.
Nemo Mobile Shorts
- Сергей Чуплыгин: Voicecall work on Nemomobile PinePhone. Awesome!
- Jozef Mlich: glacier-weather demo. Nice app!
Stuff I did
I've played with Sxmo 1.6.0 and Nemo Mobile 0.7 this week, and what shall I say: Both are really smooth. Do give them a try.
LINMOBapps and Linux Phone Apps
This week I added
- Space Launch, a GTK/libhandy app that tracks rocket launches.
This should have been included last week (it is now), but since it was added so late it's in here, two. Just subscribe to these podcasts so that you don't have to rely on me!