LinBits 69: Weekly Linux Phone news / media roundup (week 43/44)
Table of Contents
This Week in Mobile Linux: Phosh 0.14.0 delivers a bunch of quality of life improvements, Maemo Leste shares a massive progress report, Jolla present Sailfish OS 4.3.0 and more! Commentary in italics.
- Phosh 0.14 has been released, delivering launch splash support, media player widget improvements, a wifi hotspot mode indicator and music player pausing on headphone disconnect. Its also making the mobile friendly launcher feature more understandable by adding a "Show all apps" toggle, alongside other visual improvements `scale-to-fit has been reworked so that it seems to work with proper app IDs (e.g. scale-to-fit org.gnome.Evolution on instead of scale-to-fit evolution on previously).
- GNOME Calls 41.1 is out, delivering multiple important fixes.
- Kasts is implementing even more awesome features, this time synchronization features to fit your multi device lifestyle!.
- Martijn Braam made a postmarketOS Cheatsheet. Nice!
- Nemo Mobile have added two apps!
- If you are dailying your PinePhone (or are close to it), maybe chime in in this Reddit thread.
- Maemo Leste: Fifteenth Update: Januari - October 2021. A huge update with lots of big and smaller things in it, including work on phone and messaging GUI. Make sure to read this, if you long for a N900 revival!
- Jolla on Sailfish OS Forum: [Release notes] Suomenlinna 4.3.0. Lots of changes. Watch Leszek's video below to get a better idea which of these changes make a difference.
- This Week in GNOME: #16 Card-Carrying. More movement toward GTK4+libadwaita!
- Christopher Davis: Announcing Solanum.
- Carl Schwan: KDE PIM in September and October.
- Phoronix: Firefox 94.0 Released With Linux Build Using EGL For Better Performance, Power Savings. I think we've been having this acceleration for quite a while on PinePhone, nice to see it land for everybody!
- PINE64: October Update Follow-up. Great to see the keyboard accessory being available soon! Now stop teasing and take my money! Also, I am delighted to hear that "new PineTalk is doing great, it's well deserved!
- xnux.eu log: Fixing broken Pinephone, aka Pinephone repairability. Nice repair report by Megi!
Tiny SBCs for fun projects
- Liliputing: Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W is a tiny $15 computer with 5X the performance of its predecessor. Honestly, I almost find the Radxa Zero more interesting - but before you start dreaming, remember that this does can't drive an internal display.
Purism and repairability
- Kyle Rankin for Purism: Beyond Right to Repair.
- PEBKAC: S01E03 Manjaro ARM Interview. Another great news round-up followed by a fun conversation. Give it a listen!
- PizzaLovingNerd: Everything We Know About The PinePhone Pro. Nice roundup!
- Niccolò Ve: KDE Telegram Client? Meet TOK!.
- Leszek Lesner: SailfishOS 4.3 - What's new!? Short Overview. Nice overview of the new Early Access release of SailfishOS 4.3.
- Jolla: Sailing for 10 years Berlin, October 14, 2021. This is the nice video that previously was only available on Facebook.
- The Linux Experience: JingPad A1 Review: Flagship Hardware, but that software.... The upside is: Software can still be easily improved after shipping the hardware out.
- JingOS: Running Android Apps on JingOS, JingPad A1. Not bad!
- u/stopcomputing: Morrowind running on my Pinephone.
- Tino Tech Tips: Librem 5 flackert an externem Bildschirm. Flickering!
Stuff I did
None :( Well, I went live last thursday, but I likely won't manage to edit the recording any time soon. The "Linux Phone Setup" post is still in the works (and already quite long), I hope to finish it this week. I also plan to update this post to reflect the changes Phosh 0.14.0 brings.
- There's a fun (?) opportunity to vote on my near Linux future!
LINMOBapps and Linux Phone Apps
Nothing, sadly. This is what happens when you wind down for annual celebratorial live events (and have a lot to do at the day job): You get nothing done!