With FOSDEM, a free event for software developers to meet, share ideas and collaborate in Brussels, Belgium, approaching (3rd & 4th February 2024), let's have a little preview on the talks and other things that are particularly exciting for #linuxmobile.
Main track (Sunday, 15:00 15:50)
- Agnes Crepet, Luca Weiss: Open Source for Sustainable and Long lasting Phones While this is likely more about Fairphone in general, it's great to have something about FOSS on mobile in the main track!
The "FOSS on Mobile Devices" Track/Developer Room (Saturday)
Just like last two years, there's a specific room for the topic this blog is mostly about.
All talks of the track happen in Room H.1309 (Van Rijn) on Saturday, February 4th from 10:30 to 18:15, which is an upgrade from the half-a-day dev room last week. Every talk in this track is 25 to 40 minutes long.
TBD Make sure to check the Talk pages for links to chat rooms (Matrix) and live streams!
Suggestions beyond the obvious? Please get in touch and tell :D
Aside from the Fairphone talk that made the main track, here are some suggestions if you don't know what do to, listed in order of appearance:
- Comprehensible Open Hardware: Building the Open Book
- Breathing Life into Legacy: An Open-Source Emulator of Legacy Apple Devices
- Self-hosting and autonomy using guix-forge
- The state of video offloading on the Linux Desktop
- Linux Matchmaking: Helping devices and drivers find each other
- Modos: Building an Ecosystem of Open-Hardware E Ink Devices
- The Basic Economics behind Open Source Funding in 2024
- Desktop Linux, as easy as a smartphone! Just in a Snap!
- Firefox power profiling: a powerful visualization of web sustainability
- MatrixRTC: The Future of Matrix Calls
But please don't forget about the meetup!
Now let's continue with what's mostly interesting for those who can make it to Brussels like me. Stands, where projects can showcase their stuff!
Droidian Linux + CalyxOS
Linux on Mobile (Mobian, Sailfish OS, PureOS, UBports, MNT Research, postmarketOS) + Ubports. Both in building AW on Level 1, I may hang out there a lot. Last year, this building was way calmer than the place of the Linux on Mobile stand, which is good for hanging out, but may lead to less passers-by.
PINE64 is in building K on Level 1
Also, let's not forget what FOSDEM is for: The hallway track, talking to people - that's what makes this better than a virtual conference.
Let's meet and (maybe) get a sticker
I (Peter) will be there, and if I am lucky, the stickers I forgot at home will be with me then, which I'll happily hand out :D For most of the Saturday, I'll be in the dev room.
I would like to hold a short meetup on Sunday, 2:00pm, at roughly this place outdoors. _It would be nice to meet some people I only know from the internet, so please come by!