It’s sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
Phosh 0.8.1, Calls 0.3.0, Sxmo 1.3.0 and more! Commentary in italics.
Software development and releases
- Phosh 0.8.1 is out, as the number indicates it’s mostly a bug fix release. Head over to the full release notes for the details.
- Calls 0.3.0 has been released, adding a few features, translations and bug fixes. Go read the full changelog.
- Portfolio 0.9.9 has been released, adding support for the org.freedesktop.FileManager1 interface among other things.
- A new version of Authenticator, powered by Rust and GTK4 is out. Sadly it did not work for me when I tried the Flatpak on postmarketOS.
- Arch Linux ARM/DanctNIX mobile has seen a new release, incorporating almost all the new releases mentioned above and more.
- Sxmo 1.3.0 has been released, delivering improvements to dmenu, which now reacts on release of touch and more. Read the full release notes.
- Dylan Van Assche announces great news coming to the postmarketOS on the PinePhone: Ringing immideately, even when in suspend. This should be the relevant merge request.
- Manjaro are preparing something that looks interesting!
- Mobian Blog: Issues and hurdles when performing the initial upgrade. If you ordered a Mobian CE, make sure to read this post! (I was going to make a video about this, but I did not keep the screen alive. Turns out, even if the phone locks up; when you just wait a long time, rebooting the hard way can be safe too.)
- Phoronix: Sailfish OS 4.0.1 No Longer Support The Jolla Phone But Has Many Other Improvements. Nice new features coming to Sailfish OS.
- Linux Smartphones: Sxmo 1.3.0 brings usability, performance improvements to this simple, geeky Linux phone UI. Nice write-up by Brad on the the new Sxmo release. Make sure to watch his video, which is linked below, too.
- Purism: OpenPGP in Your Pocket. Guess I need to get this firmware on to my Librem 5.
- Lup Yuen Lee: PineCone BL602 talks SPI too!. Turns out: You can connect a display to that Risc-V WiFi-thingy!
- PineTalk 002: New Accessories and UBports with Dalton Durst. Creating this episode was a lot of fun, I hope you like it!
- Glitchy Soup: Pinephone (Mobian community edition) GUI and camera test. Nice video.
- AntonMadness: Soldering with the PinePhone. Yes, this is the PinePhone serving as a power source for a USB-C powered soldering iron. I don’t think that this is something you should too, but apparently this works at least once.
- paralin: KDE and GentooLTO on Pinephone. This is the KDE Plasma Desktop, running on a PinePhone. Interesting!
- The Linux Experiment: Is GNOME ready to tackle the SMARTPHONE ? A tour of Phosh on the PinePhone. Interesting user interface critique.
- Liliputing: PinePhone running Sxmo 1.3.0 (Simple X Mobile). I am so happy that Brad did this video so I don’t.
- Linux Lounge: A Look At LuneOS On The PinePhone. Nice video on LuneOS, although I sadly did not see much progress to way back when I tried it.
- Privacy & Tech Tips: Howto: Put BlackArch Pentesting Linux On Pinephone!. Great video!
- Privacy & Tech Tips: Pine64 Pinetab (Linux Tablet) First Impressions- Nice!. If you’re curious about the PineTab…
- Privacy & Tech Tips: Dear Newbz: Are You Ready For A Pinephone? Depends.. This is an important video for everybody who is not really sure, whether PinePhone is for them.
- Leszek Lesner: SailfishOS 4.0 EA - What’s new?. Informative video!
- Linux Lounge: How To Install Replicant (A Fully FOSS Android Distribution). If you want to try the variant of Android that is the most FLOSS, this video is a good starting point.
- UBports: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 94. Highlights include: OTA 16 upcoming, Debian packaging progress (slow!).
- TalkNTech: Pine64 Pinephone Manjaro KDE CE (linuxphone) unboxing + overview, part 2.
- Nephitejnf: Pinephone Unboxing and First Impressions
- Jolla-Devices: Pinephone unboxing and magnets // J-D inbox February. Another late Manjaro CE unboxing.
Stuff I did
I installed postmarketOS Edge with Phosh on my Librem 5 Evergreen last week, and reported on the battery life I experienced during the past week:
I have nuked that install today and tried PureOS Byzantium tonight (it’s really not ready yet), and might go Mobian next. Stay tuned!
I also published my first APKBUILD.