It’s sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
Phosh updates, Librem 5 Shipping, PinePhone KDE Community Edition and more. Commentary in italics.
Software releases and improvements
- Phosh 0.6.0 was released last sunday, delivering what I think is a massive improvement to multitasking.
- Phoc has seen two releases, bumping up the version to 0.5.1, delivering numerous improvements.
- Squeekboard 1.11.0 is a relatively minor release.
- Chatty 0.2.0 improves the SMS and chat app quite a bit.
- PINE64: November Update: KDE PinePhone CE And A Peek Into The Future. I published LinBits way to early last sunday and missed a lot, including this announcement. I already wrote down my thoughts on this in a previous blog post.
- ZDnet: PinePhone KDE Linux phone is getting ready for pre-orders. Nice to see more reporting on the PinePhone by outlets focused on general tech.
- LinuxSmartphones: PinePhone KDE Community Edition up for preorder in December. Brad’s take, nice as always.
- LinuxSmartphones: Hacker adds a working fingerprint sensor to the PinePhone
- Purism: Librem 5 Mass Production Phone Has Begun Shipping. This reddit thread cleared up some questions for me. And if you need evidence that they are really shipping phones out now, see this thread in the Purism forums.
- LinuxSmartphones: Purism’s Librem 5 Linux smartphone is now shipping.
- PINE64: November Community Update: KDE PinePhone Community Edition & a peek into the future. Great work by PizzaLovingNerd.
- r/pinephone: I’ll just leave this here Diablo on the PinePhone.
- Purism: Librem 5 Visual Walkthrough. Watch this before starting to use your Librem 5. BTW: It looks really smooth. Also: That phone is a beast, in a good way!
- Geotech Land: KDE Plasma Mobile On Pinephone. Nice video.
- IzaicNix: Pinephone Lomiri with 60hz refresh. I hope Manjaro (or another distribution) picks up Lomiri. It has so much potential.
- Jaquen hgar: PinePhone Hands On - Arch Linux. German language, but maybe still interesting.
- Camden Bruce: Evolution of Ubuntu Touch for the Pinephone (school project). I think I would give this a B+, given that UBports definitely still work on improving PinePhone support. It just takes a long time because doing it properly is hard.
- UBports: Ubuntu Touch Q&A 89 Highlights: OTA 15 planning changes: Volla Phone support leads to no Qt 5.12 migration in OTA 15, it will be delayed to OTA 16. Around minute 19, they talk about the PinePhone.
- BitBooger: How to install (flash) Mobian on (to) your PinePhone! Nice! See also my video below.
Manjaro PinePhone Unboxings
Non-Linux Phone content
- Louis Rossmann: An important message from Louis Rossmann. Right of ownership and right to repair matter. Not just for users, for independent repair – but also for the planet as a whole.
Stuff I did
- I wrote a blog post on Pine64’s announcement.
- I streamed for the first time on YouTube. It was fun, and I am going to repeat this once I have worked on my setup. If you want to watch a part of this first stream, you can do so on YouTube. Maybe it can help you out with understanding Jumpdrive — it’s unlisted because I had audio issues in the beginning. If you have ideas for topics to discuss on LINMOB live, please get in touch!
Not much happened here, just some maintenance. I have another commit almost ready, and I hope to be able to do the game-split next week, so stay tuned.