It’s sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
New Manjaro betas, phoc 0.7.0, Megi’s log is back and more! Commentary in italics.
Software development and releases
- phoc 0.7.0 has been released, full release notes. It’s more stable and has some convergence improvements.
- Manjaro have released two new betas:
- Also based on Manjaro now, Nemo Mobile have finally put out a new image for the PinePhone. It still needs work.
- Purism forums: VoIP/SIP from the L5. Make sure to read that first comment, and don’t tell anyone.
- PINE64: March Update: Status Report. Another great update. Let’s hope that the component shortage won’t get worse.
- PINE64: Beta Edition Pre-Orders. Nice! It will have a different compass/magnetometer, but otherwise it’s similar hardware to the last three Community Editions and a more developed variant of the KDE CE’s software.
- Linux Smartphones: PinePhone Beta Edition goes up for pre-order March 24 (updated). Brad’s take.
- xnux.eu: Some PinePhone updates. Megi reports on his progress and plans for the first time in 2021. Make sure to read this.
- xnux.eu: PinePhone eMMC measurements. Some benchmarks. BTW: The Mobian Wiki has more of this.
- Linux Smartphones: Ubuntu Touch OTA-16 released with improved browser, video recording, Android app support and more. This is a great release. Remember: The PinePhone, using a mainline kernel and Wayland instead of the Mir protocol, does not follow the OTA schedule. Don’t be sad though, there’s been progress on the ‘kernelupgrade’ channel which makes me quite hopeful.
- Linux Smartphones: Pangolin Mobile is a new open source user interface for smartphones. This looks like it could develop into something cool.
- TuxPhones: The JingPad A1 is a Linux tablet with 6GB RAM, 2K display, 5G and much more. PowerVR graphics. Meh. Great article though!
- OSNews: The Nokia N900: the future that wasn’t. A nice history lesson.
- Disputatio Ebrius: HOWTO Create A Working Pine Phone Image From The eMMC Using dd. Nice article!
- Dylan Kirdahy: How to use your Protonmail account with Geary on your Pinephone (Mobian, in this case). If you use non-standard-following email providers, this is surely helpful.
- Kevin’s musings: Pinephone and Fedora. Interesting read, altough I would advise differently in many cases, especially regarding scaling and Matrix clients.
- Mobian: 2021-03-17 Status Update. Boring title, interesting read.
- Mobian: The unstable Mobian distro. If you want Mobian and more recent software, you now have a choice.
- NitruxOS: Maui Weekly Report 9. Another great progress update on Maui!
- rav3ndust: Why Are Linux Phones Important? - FOSScast #1.
- PINE64: March Update: Status Report. Great video summary by PizzaLovingNerd!
- Short Circuit: A $200 phone that can do ANYTHING!!! - Pine64 Pinephone. After having had a look at the Librem 5, Anthony now tries the PinePhone. Let’s just say that they could have done more research.
- AnotherKiwiGuy: The PinePhone Review - March, 2021. While this video will likely never have as many views as the previous one has now, it does a way better job in my opinion. Great!
- Camden Bruce: Pangolin Mobile running on the pinephone. A promising new UI written in Flutter.
- Linux Lounge: Mining Cryptocurrency On The PinePhone and PineTab. Just in case you’re bored and need something to do uh mine.
- Jolla Devices: Magsafe card holder for Pinephone // Pinephone is magnet ready!. It’s fun!
- Camilo Higuita: Maui Project - Progress Update.
- Polymath Programming: Raylib on Mobian PinePhone. Nice!
- Privacy & Tech Tips: Part I: Linux/Pinephone SSH Securing + Hydra Demo On Default Pins (Plus Fixes).
- Martijn Braam: Linux 5.11 on Motorola Osprey with postmarketOS. For more information on the Osprey/Motorola Moto G 2015, click here.
Librem 5 convergence corner
Stuff I did
I made a video, it’s called “Mobian on the Purism Librem 5 Evergreen” and you can watch it on