It’s sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
KWin improvements, new Manjaro Lomiri dev builds, Linux 5.10 on the PinePhone’s Quectel EG25-G and more. Commentary in italics.
Software development and releases
- Phoc 0.6.0 has been released.
- The Quectel EG25-G Modem can run Linux 5.10 now.
- Plasma Mobile: KWin improvements make quite the difference. See also Nate Grahams article below.
- Manjaro Lomiri seems to get going again, as two dev images where released in the past week. Click this link to get to the latest image.
- postmarketOS is switching to eg25-manager, which should improve the PinePhones reliability as a phone considerably.
- FOSS2go: PinePhone modem can now run Linux kernel 5.10.
- LinuxSmartphones: Linux phone news roundup (1-06-2020).
- FOSS2go: Manjaro ARM developer build of Lomiri for PinePhone is out. FOSS2go’s take on the same issue.
- FOSS2go: Manjaro ARM developer build of Lomiri for PinePhone is out. I am going to try this soon.
- LinuxSmartphones: There’s a new Manjaro ARM Lomiri dev build for the PinePhone. Brad’s take.
- LinuxSmartphones: Can a Linux phone replace my iPhone or Android device?. Nice write-up!
- Phoronix: The Qt Company Is Tomorrow Moving Qt 5.15 To Its Commercial-Only LTS Phase. I don’t know if and how this is going to affect Plasma Desktop and Mobile, but it’s definitely worth noting.
- Purism: Purism and Linux 5.8. Boy, that post is late! 5.10 is already released, but it’s still interresting.
- Purism App Spotlight:
- /u/bloggerdan: Pinephone as a daily driver? A Non-predetermined Amount of Time* with Mobian: Day 8, Day 9, Day 10. Interesting series.
- Nate Graham: This week in KDE: new KWin compositing, new Kickoff, new recording level visualization!. This is the backstory to the compositor improvement that helped with Plasma Mobiles’ overall performance.
- GNOME Shell and Mutter development blog: A shell UX update. This is also relevant for the PinePhone and Librem 5, as it could be handy when connected to a larger screen or for those who insist on running full GNOME on their PinePhone.
- As @whatsmieasms points out on Twitter, Galaxy S20 Ultra Battery cases almost fit the PinePhone. I’d recommend waiting for PINE64’s official keyboard case which is going to have an integrated battery, but if you can’t wait and need more battery life, this might be worth considering.
- LinuxLounge: PinePhone Accessories Unboxing! (Clear Case, Glass Screen Protector and Plain Back Cover). If you have wondered what the official PinePhone accessories are like, this video should be helpful.
- Pedro Francisco: Sailfish, Manjaro Phosh y Manjaro Plasma Mobile en el PinePhone. Spanish video about three different PinePhone OS.
- Terminal_Heat_Sink: PinePhone Pine64 Screen Repair / Replacement / Fix Display Artifacts. If you wanted to know how you could replace a broken PinePhone display, this is how you would do it.
- UltimatePisman: 【その他】PinephoneというLinuxスマホをパソコンに化してみたｗｗ. A japanese video showing GIMP and PinePhone convergence.
- Privacy & Tech Tips: Howto: Portsentry On Linux/Pinephone Detect Stealth Portscans, Have Attacker IP Emailed To Us. I actually learned something when I watched this video.
Stuff I did
I wrote a blog post about my setup, which ended up being surprisingly long one. I have uploaded one new video about “Firefox Profiles and Site Specific Browsers on the PinePhone”. As always, you can watch it on