It’s sunday. Now what happened since last sunday?
p-boot, a first Manjaro Lomiri image, upcoming camera support improvements and much more. Commentary in italics.
Software releases and improvements
- megi has released code to his p-boot PinePhone multi boot loader, which has a GUI to select an OS. Make sure to watch the video linked below.
- Manjaro have released a new dev image featuring Plasma Mobile and their first image with Lomiri.
- Mobian have announced support for the Convergence Package PinePhones starting with the 20200903 nightly.
- Nemo Mobile have announced that their next release will be on a Fedora. The migration progress can be followed here
- Marius Gripsgard has shared progress on the PinePhone camera, which looks quite impressive. Previously, Lukasz Erecinski from Pine64 had shared his impressions with an experimental Qt 5.12 based UBports image.
- UBports have announced a slight delay for their OTA 13 update. It’s going to be released on September 9th.
- Also, postmarketOS developer Martijn Braam has shared progress on supporting the front camera. Don’t miss the video linked below.
- Pine64: PinePhone Manjaro Community Edition.
- Jason Evangelho for Forbes: Meet The New Manjaro Community Edition PinePhone, Starting At $149. Just one article on the announcement, there have been a lot.
- Fossbytes: Meet P-Boot: A New Pico-Sized Bootloader For Linux-Based PinePhone. Missed this one, but it is informative enough to add it.
- 5ilver on reddit: Stuck a piece of paper under the speaker contacts to stop that horrible whining sound. Sweet relief at last!. Not much of a read, more a “look at”, but.. I ran out of categories!
- Hacker News Comments on the announcement of the Manjaro Community Edition. Some are worth reading.
- Alan Pope has shared his impressions of the PinePhone on the latest episode of the Ubuntu Podcast starting at minute 20:23.
- DanctNIX: DanctNIX Project Update - August 2020. A nice update.
- Howto: Digital Privacy and Infosec: Pinephone Howto: gPodder Podcast & App review. I usually prefer GNOME Podcasts and build it from source this weeks because of rumors of integrated directories (Nope!), but the gPodder desktop app definitely has more features.
- Howto: Digital Privacy & Infosec: Pinephone Ubuntu Touch Updates: Camera Works, Smooth performance, Apps, Security Enhancements & More. Nice overview of how Ubuntu Touch has progressed lately. Unfortunately I don’t think the release used for this video is mentioned.
- Martijn Braam: Camera switching on the PinePhone. This is not released yet, but it is great to see progress on the camera front.
- sadfwesv: PinePhone - Multi-Boot of 9 distros on a single SD card. Short but nice.
- ETA Prime: Pine Phone First look, An Open Source Linux Powered Smart Phone!. The postmarketOS CE PinePhones are arriving internationally.
- 801 Labs: Pine64 PinePhone review by bashNinja. Calling the first use of a device a review is a bit of a stretch, but it is worth a watch nontheless.
What did I do?
I did not achieve much this week:
- I spent quite some time on a video showing Anbox on ArchLinux, which is being published as I write this,
- tried to build Tinymail (and failed), but succeeded with Qt apps,
- no progress on the app directory :(.